Nvidia-settings gives error 'G_IS_OBJECT failed' on driver 455.23.05

so I just get my brandnew machine installed with Ubuntu 18.04.
Nvidia-driver is automatically installed by ubuntu during the installation.

I also installed Cuda, CudaToolkit and also Cudnn, installation is quite smooth.
The first thing I notice is that when I try to use “nvidia-settings”, the UI will pop up, but there are some error messages:

~$ nvidia-settings
(nvidia-settings:2041): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:32:53.284: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

if use nvidia-settings -V:

WARNING: Failed to match any targets for target specification ‘DPY:DP-0’, specified on line 36 of configuration file
‘/home/mike/.nvidia-settings-rc’.
(many many of them)
WARNING: Failed to match any targets for target specification ‘DPY:DP-1-5’, specified on line 128 of configuration file
WARNING: Failed to match any targets for target specification ‘DPY:DP-1-5’, specified on line 129 of configuration file
(nvidia-settings:4918): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 16:34:18.655: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUSlowdownTempThreshold (61) of GPU (0)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUGraphicsClockOffsetAllPerformanceLevels (424) of GPU (0)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUGraphicsClockOffset (409) of GPU (0)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUMemoryTransferRateOffsetAllPerformanceLevels (425) of GPU (0)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset (410) of GPU (0)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUSlowdownTempThreshold (61) of GPU (1)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUGraphicsClockOffsetAllPerformanceLevels (424) of GPU (1)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUGraphicsClockOffset (409) of GPU (1)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUMemoryTransferRateOffsetAllPerformanceLevels (425) of GPU (1)
WARNING: Unhandled integer attribute GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset (410) of GPU (1)

Since the UI pops, I did not pay too much attention to above problem.

I have two RTX2070 GPUs on my motherboard I want to control the GPU fan speed. Thus I just use the command below:

sudo nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus
sudo nvidia-xconfig --cool-bits=28

then when I reboot my machine, the cursor becomes a big X and no login screen, nothing there…I can only move my cursor around.

I am not sure if these 2 problems are linked. I need your help on this issue. I just need to control the fan speed…anything else works fine for me.

really thanks.

Attachments:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (470.0 KB)

@generix, sorry to bother you, but mind to give any suggestions/insructions?

Really appreciate.

anyone?