NVIDIA-SMI can't communicate with driver in Centos 7.4 with non-UEFI BIOS

Greetings,

I’m trying to install NVIDIA drivers for a Tesla P4 on a Centos 7.4 system that is not running a UEFI Bios.

After doing:

$ yum install  http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/repos/rhel7/x86_64/cuda-repo-rhel7-10.2.89-1.x86_64.rpm
$ yum install nvidia-driver-latest

I do:
$ nvidia-smi

And get the dreaded:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. centos legacy bios site:forums.developer.nvidia.com

Any help is appreciated. I attach the bug report.nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (46.7 KB)

Thanks,
Patricio

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Done, I edited my original post. Thanks.

The kernel was compiled with gcc 4.8.5 but the system compiler is set to gcc 7.2. Please set the correct system compiler, make sure the kernel headers are installed and reinstall the driver.

Hi, I did that and the problem persists. Here’s the updated bug report nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (47.2 KB)

Thank you,
Patricio

It’s still set to gcc 7.2.
Run
cc -v
to get the current compiler.

But I did change it to gcc 4.8

$ cc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=cc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.5/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-bootstrap --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada,go,lto --enable-plugin --enable-initfini-array --disable-libgcj --with-isl=/builddir/build/BUILD/gcc-4.8.5-20150702/obj-x86_64-redhat-linux/isl-install --with-cloog=/builddir/build/BUILD/gcc-4.8.5-20150702/obj-x86_64-redhat-linux/cloog-install --enable-gnu-indirect-function --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=x86-64 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.8.5 20150623 (Red Hat 4.8.5-16) (GCC)

Then you likely just uploaded an old bug-report.log which still had 7.2 set.
The repo driver depends on dkms, is it installed? Please post the output of
dkms status

dkms was not installed, but after installing it the problem persists.

Here’s an updated bug report nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (47.4 KB)

And:

$ dkms
nvidia, 495.29.05: added

Thanks,
Patricio

Please run
sudo dkms install nvidia/495.29.05 --all
and post any errors.

That worked! I only had to remove the --all flag because it didn’t like it, but otherwise it did the trick. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.