NVIDIA-SMI failed error

Hi all,

My OS is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and GPU is GeForce 1060. I have already installed CUDA Toolkit 9.1 on my PC several days ago, which was confirmed by running the default NVIDIA_CUDA-9.1_sample ‘deviceQuery’ and ‘bandwith’.

However, when I am running the command nvidia-smi today, an error shows up as:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

During the last two days, I tried to install the PGI Community Eidtion 17.10 in order to try out the OpenACC library with Fortran programs. I stopped the PGI installation at the procedure that asked whether to install CUDA Toolkit or not, because I am not sure if this will confilict my already installed CUDA. I do not know if the PGI installation is related to the error and how to fix. Thanks for the help.

Bo-Yuan

Follow the instructions in the linux install guide to clean out any old installations and reinstall CUDA 9.1

[url]Installation Guide Linux :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation

Thanks txbob! I uninstalled CUDA and Nvidia Driver. Everything works fine after the reinstallation of CUDA 9.1 as official guide tells.

I want to know whether such an error comes from the installation of PGI Community Edition? Thanks for the help.