Nvidia Texture Tools Exporter will not install in Photoshop CC 2020

Up until today Adobe CC has been operating Photoshop 2019 on my PC. Then came the update to CC2020 and now my Intel Texture works is not working. So I decided to make the switch to Nvidia since I already have a GTX 1060 6GB. Nvidia Texture Tools Exporter only installs to the C: drive of my PC. It doesn’t recognize that I even have PS CC2020 installed. I have reinstalled PS CC2020 and still there is nothing in the ‘Save As’ drop down that has anything to do with Nvidia. I don’t know where to go from here since I can’t even get the exporter installed to use in PS. Looking for a little guidance here please.
Thanks
Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for the late reply - I’m usually tracking topics in the Development Tools > Other Tools sub-forum, or at the texturetools@nvidia.com email address!

I’m assuming this is for the new Texture Tools Exporter plugin for Photoshop (instead of the legacy version or the standalone version). By default, it should try to find the Photoshop folder and should prompt you if it can’t find Photoshop, but since that’s not working, one of the best solutions is to set the install folder to the Photoshop Plug-ins folder on the Choose Install Location screen, which should look a bit like this if Photoshop has been installed to the default location (i.e. set the install folder to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Plug-ins).

The key factor is that nvtt_export.8bi must be in Photoshop’s Plug-ins folder in order for Photoshop to find the exporter plugin.

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately this is still not working for me. nvtt_export.8bi is in there but I still can’t find nvidia tools in my photoshop (filters)

Hi user74081! Could you check if the Texture Tool Exporter appears when you use Save As… with the .DDS, .KTX, or .KTX2 file formats?

You should also be able to see them listed in Help > About Plugins, like this:

Thanks!

Hi nbickford - I know it’s been a long time since my first post on this, but if it’s still available I would like to be able to install the legacy drivers. I’m sure there are a lot of features of the updated tool that people use, but I don’t use them and the old interface for saving was so much simpler to use.

Hi huskereurocat! The legacy version is available from the bottom of the Texture Tools Exporter page, in the Resources section (click on “Legacy version for Photoshop 5.0 to CS6”).

There are two links for the legacy texture tools (one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit) and neither link does anything when I click on them.

Oh, right! Are you using Chrome, by any chance? Try right-clicking the download link, choosing “Save As”, and then in the “can’t be downloaded securely” notification, click the “^” arrow and select Keep.

What’s going on is that developer.nvidia.com is accessed using HTTPS, while the downloads are being served using HTTP. Instead of downloading the file, Chrome silently refuses (since the protocol changes - it’s good that Chrome does this, but ideally it would show the warning instead of silently failing). Firefox will download the file, while Edge will always show the warning.

This is an issue where I think the long-term solution is to make the downloads use HTTPS - I have filed a bug with the web team on this, and will ping them about it again. Thanks!

Hi huskereurocat! The legacy download should work again now - the links on the download page will now point to downloads hosted on HTTPS, and Chrome appears to download them without issues now.

Thanks again!

Interesting! I uninstalled the newer version of the texture tools and installed the legacy tools that I just downloaded, and nothing is showing up in the save options in Ps. Is there more to this than letting the wizard do the install?

Hi huskereurocat! Two things to check -

• Does the legacy plugin show up as “D3D/DDS” in Help > About Plugins? This is checking to see if dds64.8bi is installed in the Photoshop Plug-ins folder.

• Does “D3D/DDS” show up in the list if you use Save a Copy… instead of Save As…? I had a go at replicating the setup you have here, and I noticed in Photoshop 2022 in some cases it only shows up if you do that.

Here’s an example of what it looks like for me using Save a Copy…:

Interestingly, it looks like Save As… works for some images (in particular, if there are no layers). I think this changed with Photoshop 2022, but I’m not sure what the legacy plugin’s behavior is at the moment that causes this.

1 Like

I did a search of my PC and never found the dds64.8bi file that needed to be in the plugins folder, but I did find that file in an adobe creative cloud folder. I moved it to where it needed to be and now I have the legacy option to save a dds file in Ps. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your help with this!!

Thank you so much! I’ve been able to get the legacy plugin installed and is now working fine.
There is one development that I need to be able to fix. Ps will not open a dds file now. I can save a psd as a dds and that is great, but if I try to open a dds file, Ps crashes to desktop. Know what the fix might be?

So I have the plugin installed in the plugin folder, and it shows up under the Help>plugins however there is no option to save as DDS

Hi user126109! Does the plugin show up in the list if you use Save a Copy… instead of Save As…? It seems like there was a change in how Photoshop 2022 decides whether to let a plugin show in the Save As… menu. Thanks!

1 Like

hi. i can see the DDS format when trying Save as. but when i hit the dds save, this error comes up.

Hi user148473! The main thread for “Creating the window with GLFW failed!” issues is here - so far, what I’ve been able to gather is this only appears to occur on Intel GPUs, but I haven’t been able to put much together beyond that.

I can’t even download the tool why?

Hello @darkrevnx3 ,

This looks to be related to an outage that we are having with our CDN. Unfortunately we don’t have an ETA for when this will be fixed. I will post back here when we have resolved the problem.

Thanks for your patience,
Tom K

Hello,

I am happy to report that all assets have been reloaded and files are now available for download. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
Tom K