Nvidia Xavier AGX stuck at boot screen - jet pack 4.5

Hi ,
I got a Xavier agx board and initially on boot up it worked fine but later when I installed jet pack 4.5 through Ethernet IP and did a reboot I see the board stuck on boot up . Find the below picture let me know how to fix this.

Host machine: Ubuntu 18

Moving to Jetson AGX Xavier forum for resolution.

Hi,

Do you only install the sdk from jetpack4.5 or even reflash the whole board?

I just installed the Jetpack 4.5 via ethernet IP using sdkmanager on ubuntu 18 host. How do i fix this error showing up a shown in picture above ?

Please check if your harddisk is full.

Your board should be still alive but jut gdm3 fails to launch the desktop.

Also, what was your previous software installed on this board? It sounds like you didn’t upgrade the system to jetpack4.5 and directly install other sdk to jetpack4.5. This is risky.

HI,

Yes seems like harddisk is full , i have the serial console working so yes the board is still alive.
i got the new board and started upgrading it to jetpack 4.5 because multimedia API was failing to enable when i ran related applications. hence i had to upgrade to 4.5. i think it was jetpack 4.3
please provide me a solution to this problem i will be aware of this from now on. I am okay to erase everything and start from scratch.

Hi , I cleared the hard disk space and now i still see the similar UTMP error please help me fix this via serial console. let me know for any methods and steps to follow to solve this issue.

Hi,

Just reflash it with sdkmanager if you are okay to start from scratch.

Hi, Do you suggest me to install jetpack 4.5 or 4.3. why does multimedia API fail using sdkmanager on ubuntu 18 host for xavier agx , do i have to follow different method to install .deb file.

Because you are using jetpack4.3 as base but install the jetapck4.5 components. Some dependencies of MM API is not compatible so cause the ubutnu desktop fails to launch.

Hi, I was installing jetapck 4.3 and flashing the jetson os is skipped if this is the case how do i reflash the agx vaxier. how do i get it up and running , i am flashing via ethernet.

Not sure about your exact question. Just flash the whole system again as your first time flashing the device.

Or you are saying that you never flashed the device before?

Hi ,

My current jetpack is 4.3 on Xavier agx and I want to reflash and upgrade to jetpack 4.5 due to the above error as per the jpg attached . I am trying to flash only the OS using sdk manager via Ubuntu host 18. I am not able to flash jetpack 4.5 , flashing fails as it says an error not in recovery mode but in lsusb it shows the nvidia usb connected after I go over the recovery mode process . I also tried installing using sudo ./flash.sh it stops in the middle of the installation process at tegra_v2 —isapplet . Ethernet does not connect either to flash via host Ubuntu.
How is the better way to solve my problem here ?

Why do you mention ethernet? The flash process does not involve ethernet but only the usb port.

Let me ask you again. Did you ever use sdkmanager to flash this board for that jetpack 4.3 before? Your comment sounds like this is your first time doing the flash.

Here are some tips to debug this issue

1. Please clarify if this board can get flashed with this host
    If you already used that host machine to flash this xavier before (i.e. the jetpack 4.3), please try to use jetpack4.3 again to see if it can still flash the board.

2. If even jetpack4.3 cannot, then please try different xavier board on this host and see if they can get flashed. If they can, it means there is probably hardware problem on current xavier board.

3. If jetpack4.3 can flash the board but jp4.5 cannot, please dump the full flash log from both host and device side (from uart).

https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

I am using ubuntu 18 host dell laptop which has a sdkmanager installed. i am trying to install jetpack 4.5 to xavier agx.

1. initially when i got agx xavier i installed sdk components only as the jetpack version was 4.3 untill here evrything is fine.

2. now when i was trying to install jetapack 4.5 i got stuck at "starting utmp erro on boot up as shown in image above " but through serial i see that 4.5 was not installed i am not sure why did it reboot maybe i had issue with recovery mode or something which i am not aware of similar error as this person has found i see only jetpack 4.3 and 4.5 is not upgraded.
    Xavier Jetpack 4.2.2 Fails initial bootup - #5 by sam.jenkins

3. now i am trying to fix the starting utmp error and you asked me to reinstall 4.3 os jetapck to do this i have issues with recovery for xavier it detects usb in lsusb but does not flash OS i have a jetson tx2 and tx1 they both work fine. am i misiing something here for xavier agx.

Jetpack 4.3 or 4.5 both dont flash OS to xavier in ubuntu 18 host how do i fix this flashing ?

Honestly, I think sharing a log will help more on your case… So far I don’t see any flash log from your side yet.

Here are some reply for your comment here.

1. initially when i got agx xavier i installed sdk components only as the jetpack version was 4.3 untill here evrything is fine.

Ok, so this xavier board was never got flashed on your host before.

now when i was trying to install jetapack 4.5 i got stuck at "starting utmp erro on boot up as shown in image above " but through serial i see that 4.5 was not installed i am not sure why did it reboot maybe i had issue with recovery mode or something which i am not aware of similar error as this person has found i see only jetpack 4.3 and 4.5 is not upgraded.

According to what I received so far, you are not installing the full jetpack4.5. You only install the “sdk” from jetpack4.5. Flashing the system is different from installing the sdk. Flashing the system is more like creating a OS and install it to your device. For example, flashing is more like installing win10 to your host machine. And what you have done so far is just like installing a arbitrary software to win10. It is just unlucky that this software destroys your desktop.

Why do you mention “reboot” here? What gets reboot?

And I am not sure why you post other user’s thread here.

now i am trying to fix the starting utmp error and you asked me to reinstall 4.3 os jetapck to do this i have issues with recovery for xavier it detects usb in lsusb but does not flash OS i have a jetson tx2 and tx1 they both work fine. am i misiing something here for xavier agx.

Jetpack 4.3 or 4.5 both dont flash OS to xavier in ubuntu 18 host how do i fix this flashing ?

Again, share us the flash log and I can know more about what is going on…