nvidia-xconfig doesnt do what i want it to, nor does nvidia-settings

Thanks for the response. I’m new to this forum – happy to start a new thread if that’s better.
Yes, over ssh – I only have remote access to this machine.

Yes, please open a new thread and tell what you’re trying to achieve. No need to fill other people’s inboxes with a completely different topic.

And I also did think that there was a default Intel gpu involved, since prime-select shows intel as an option, and glxinfo shows Intel(R) Iris™ Plus Graphics 655, but I may be confused. prime-select query returns nvidia, though.

I have a problem again with this Nvidia driver. I want to load only nvidia gpu and I did all what was needed. I have arch + openbox + lightdm. So when I just run startx openbox session is starting with Nvidia gpu loaded, but when I am starting lightdm openbox session is starting with AMD gpu. xrnadr --listproviders shows me only one provider “modesetting” sometime is starting with Nvidia and sometime no. I understand that lightdm have some troubles with loading the sh script…

Generix can you explain what I need to do please? Slim and GDM si loading the Nvidia gpu correct, but lightdm doesn’t want to make it.

With Arch, you’ll have to make sure that the nvidia kernel modules are added to the initrd. Otherwise, the driver is loaded too late to be picked up by Xorg.

Hey @generix, sorry to bother here on this topic but just a quick question related to it, I have an ASUS A15 with AMD Ryzen 7 4900H and Nvidia RTX 2060 running with Manjaro 20.2 GNOME and Garuda Linux GNOME… and I have tried a lot of things and I search online about the option to have the HDMI port and laptop’ screen running with AMD and the USB type C with Nvidia, is that even possible on Linux?, because what I have read is that is not currently possible on Linux with the current state of Nvidia drivers.

You will need a kernel >=5.6 which Manjaro should have ootb and then use the config from top of the thread. Should only need minor adjustments for manjaro.

On second read, I guess you’d rather asked for the output sink feature, that’a work-in-progress, please see this thread:
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/ryzen-7-gtx-1660ti-blank-screen-on-external-outputs-in-hybrid-graphics-mode/157800?u=generix

1 Like

Thanks @generix for the answer, I have a better idea of what is happening now. Probably I will report this to Manjaro or Garuda developers maybe they can patch it on future releases I don’t know, maybe I will try the solution but I think is not very convenient. For Now I have uninstalled the Nvidia driver since it was draining my battery and I wasn’t using it anyways and I have gave up with the displayport because without the Nvidia driver it doesn’t even get recognized by the AMD iGPU.

Hi,

I installed four NVIDIA GPUs (1e30) Quadro RTX 8000 and followed all the major steps needed to enable nvidia and cuda drivers which include the following:

- Enable nvidia in early KMS with GRUB and initramfs
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.4.0-70-generic root=UUID=2669e54b-187c-4de6-a661-0c2eda159296 ro quiet splash nogpumanager nvidia-drm.modeset=1 vt.handoff=1

- Suppress nouveau by blacklisting in *.conf files

- Disable gpumanager

- Disable Wayland

- Run in multi-user level, i.e. runlevel 3

- Install cuda:

apt install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
wget https://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/11.2.2/local_installers/cuda_11.2.2_460.32.03_linux.run
chmod +x
sudo sh cuda_11.2.2_460.32.03_linux.run
Add: ~/.bashrc
- export PATH=/usr/local/cuda-11.2/bin${PATH:+:${PATH}}
- export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/cuda-11.2/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}}

After rebooting I find that nvidia drivers are enabled in most of the places but not everywhere. I tried running nvidia-xconfig to generate an xorg.conf (or 20-nvidia.conf) file but none of the settings provided at the NVIDIA developer forum or in the Xorg config section of NVIDIA driver documentation helped me. These include (see attached xorg.conf file)

xorg.conf.txt (2.4 KB)

Adding BusID to “Device” section in Xorg.conf
Adding “AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration”

Rather I found a 72x72 black screen each time I started gdm (systemctl start gdm) with nvidia config.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (952.0 KB)

I need to enable nvidia drivers instead of mesa, and also enable SLI. How should I proceed?

There’s no monitor connected to the Quadros, only one on the server graphics, what do you want to use the quadros for?

To enable SLI for VRWorks, and to enable multi-GPU computation for video processing. The monitor is connected to the server by a VGA cable. Do I need to unplug the VGA cable if I were to plug in a Displayport/HDMi into the Quadro?

Ok, first of all, the SLI modes in xorg.conf are removed, only SLIMosaic (for videowalls) is left. Doesn’t matter though since those are not the robots you’re looking for. VRWorks uses the newer explicit multi-gpu rendering which doesn’t need to be explicitly configured. If your board supports it, the quadros should form an sli-group automatically.
To get your config working, you should remove the xorg.conf, disable the server graphics in bios and then connect a monitor to the primary nvidia gpu, i.e. connect the monitor to the nvidia cards one after another until you see the login-screen.
For config, use a minimal one like
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf

Section "OutputClass"
  Identifier "nvidia"
  MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
  Driver "nvidia"
  Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "true"
EndSection
1 Like

Thanks for the update on SLI. I have been running into the same problem as described here

cudaErrorUnknown / cudaGraphicsGLRegisterBuffer - #6 by th6mas.

After reading the replies, I have a few things to check with you:

1. In order for CUDA (and CUDA based apps) to run OpenGL applications, OpenGL must be created with NVIDIA context. Is that correct?

2. I am using my Quadros for compute only, not for rendering (it is not plugged to my monitor). I have a non-NVIDIA graphics card rendering - XOrg with modesetting, nvidia.The monitor is connected to the internal graphics card with a VGA cable. So for OpenGL context to be created with nvidia, do I need to unplug the VGA cable, and plug my monitor to a Quadro (with HDMI or DP), like you described in the previous reply, and then start XOrg with nvidia accelerated graphics?

• In other words, is it incorrect to use Quadro for running CUDA-based applications (that use GL), while the rendering/display is being performed by a non-NVIDIA graphics card? Because I believe, the GL context is created with a non-NVIDIA context that cannot run CUDA samples (e.g. 2_Graphics/simpleGL), and for that to happen the Quadros must perform BOTH computation and graphics. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
  1. Nvidia runfile installation conflicts with package manager installation. But would that also conflict with mesa package manager installation? Some of the packages may install mesa drivers (GL, etc). Would that conflict with nvidia GL libraries in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ?

Correct, direct gl/cuda interop requires rendering happening on the nvidia gpu i.e. it running an xserver. It possible to use virtualgl to have the desktop running on the server graphics but this adds a lot of complexity.

On any fairly recent linux distribution which is using libglvnd for glx switching, the runfile installer isn’t conflicting with mesa anymore, also applies to the package manager in general. It’s just important that no nvidia packages have been installed through the package manager before using the runfile installer.
On hybrid graphics notebooks, this doesn’t apply but only since those need additional config provided by the distribution’s repositories.

1 Like

Dear Generix,

First of all, thank you for your help with setting up my Lenovo Legion 5 15ARH05, with a AMD Ryzen 4800H APU and an NVidia GTX1660Ti.
I am using Arch Linux (kernel 5.12.1-arch1-1) with SDDM and KDE Plasma under X11.
As the last part of your answer was written for GDM, I had to look around for my setup.
I’ve found the solutions for SDDM and LightDM, which I’d like to share:

I hope this helps people that found this very useful thread.

Hello nvidia,

Have been fighting with this for a few days, but it seems like every time I solve one problem, I encounter a different one. Initially, my two ViewSonic monitors were working, attached with Prudent Way PWI-USB-HDV adapters, but there was no sound from my HDMI connected ASUS monitor, and the video was choppy on all three. After following a suggestion in another topic on the forum, I downgraded the driver package from 460 to 390 (the closest one to being below 410) to resolve the sound issue, which worked. It was stated there that there are problems with HDMI and sound above the 410 driver.

To solve the problems with the choppy video, I changed the settings to “maximum performance,” which worked great to solve the issues with choppy video on the main HDMI ASUS screen after the restart, however the two ViewSonic screens are no longer detected. And, it appears the settings which solved the choppy video didn’t survive the restart, even though I saved the changes to the configuration file, but the other two monitors still aren’t detected.

I attached my bug report log for your inspection. Any help you could give me to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (213.1 KB)

The previously attached bug report was prior to the most recent restart. Attached is the one after the most recent restart.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (236.1 KB)

Hello,

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520 that worked fine with Windows 10 AND Ubuntu 20.04 (on dual boot) until last week.
Although I basically use Ubuntu, from time to time I use Windows to keep it updated. Unfortunately, last week’s update updated BIOS and messed up with my Linux config. I think maybe the BIOS update reenabled secure boot. But, before I I came to this conclusion I tried uninstalling drivers and such and must have messed up with my linux config…

Nvidia still works fine under W10, but under Ubuntu I can only use Intel (IGPU?). I’ve been struggling for a few days now. I even acessed another thread in this forum (Version 460 nvidia driver stopped loading overnight under ubuntu 20.04 - #12 by jlacarneiro) to no avail.

Since it was taking too long, and various sites mentioned that nVidia worked fine under Ubuntu 21.04 using Wayland, I upgraded my Linux box to 20.10 and then to 21.04. But it still doesn’t work. If I tweak it too much, the notebook simply hangs after boot.

Can you help me?

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (450.8 KB)