nvidia-xconfig doesnt do what i want it to, nor does nvidia-settings

Thanks for the update on SLI. I have been running into the same problem as described here

cudaErrorUnknown / cudaGraphicsGLRegisterBuffer - #6 by th6mas.

After reading the replies, I have a few things to check with you:

1. In order for CUDA (and CUDA based apps) to run OpenGL applications, OpenGL must be created with NVIDIA context. Is that correct?

2. I am using my Quadros for compute only, not for rendering (it is not plugged to my monitor). I have a non-NVIDIA graphics card rendering - XOrg with modesetting, nvidia.The monitor is connected to the internal graphics card with a VGA cable. So for OpenGL context to be created with nvidia, do I need to unplug the VGA cable, and plug my monitor to a Quadro (with HDMI or DP), like you described in the previous reply, and then start XOrg with nvidia accelerated graphics?

• In other words, is it incorrect to use Quadro for running CUDA-based applications (that use GL), while the rendering/display is being performed by a non-NVIDIA graphics card? Because I believe, the GL context is created with a non-NVIDIA context that cannot run CUDA samples (e.g. 2_Graphics/simpleGL), and for that to happen the Quadros must perform BOTH computation and graphics. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
  1. Nvidia runfile installation conflicts with package manager installation. But would that also conflict with mesa package manager installation? Some of the packages may install mesa drivers (GL, etc). Would that conflict with nvidia GL libraries in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ?