nvlink error when defining acc routine information

Hello,

I had posted this before about calls to libraries in a loop:
www.pgroup.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?p=19304

I was advised to try inlining or to try defining routine information. I went with the latter as it generally seemed to work, but then I ran into a problem. The two methods I had defined are mentioned as an undefined reference with nvlink.

I did the following to define the routines:

#pragma acc routine seq
extern __GMP_DECLSPEC void mpz_init_set_si (mpz_ptr, signed long int);

#pragma acc routine seq
extern void mpz_clear (mpz_ptr);

and then when I run:

pgc++ -fast -ta=tesla,cc30 -Minfo=all -Minline=levels:3 -lgmpxx -lgmp main.cpp

I get the following output:

main:
     17, Generating copy(vals[:])
     19, Generating copy(t)
     21, Loop is parallelizable
         Accelerator kernel generated
         Generating Tesla code
         21, #pragma acc loop gang, vector(128) /* blockIdx.x threadIdx.x */
     25, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::__gmp_expr(int) inlined, size=2 (inline) file main.cpp (1423)
        1423, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_si(long) inlined, size=7, file main.cpp (1389)
             1391, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_ui(unsigned long) inlined, size=4 (inline) file main.cpp (1382)
             1394, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_ui(unsigned long) inlined, size=4 (inline) file main.cpp (1382)
             1395, __gmpz_neg inlined, size=4 (inline) file main.cpp (1801)
     26, Loop is parallelizable
     30, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::~__gmp_expr() inlined, size=2 (inline) file main.cpp (1444)
__gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_si(long):
   1391, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_ui(unsigned long) inlined, size=4 (inline) file main.cpp (1382)
   1394, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_ui(unsigned long) inlined, size=4 (inline) file main.cpp (1382)
__gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::__gmp_expr(int):
   1423, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_si(long) inlined, size=7 (inline) file main.cpp (1389)
        1391, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_ui(unsigned long) inlined, size=4, file main.cpp (1382)
        1394, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_ui(unsigned long) inlined, size=4, file main.cpp (1382)
        1395, __gmpz_neg inlined, size=4, file main.cpp (1801)
__gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::__gmp_expr(int) [subobject]:
      0, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::__gmp_expr(int) inlined, size=2 (inline) file main.cpp (1423)
        1423, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::init_si(long) inlined, size=7, file main.cpp (1389)
__gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::~__gmp_expr() [subobject]:
      0, __gmp_expr<__mpz_struct [1], __mpz_struct [1]>::~__gmp_expr() inlined, size=2 (inline) file main.cpp (1444)
nvlink error   : Undefined reference to '__gmpz_init_set_si' in '/tmp/pgc++MZZfYrbrP8To.o'
nvlink error   : Undefined reference to '__gmpz_clear' in '/tmp/pgc++MZZfYrbrP8To.o'
pgacclnk: child process exit status 2: /opt/pgi/linux86-64/15.7/bin/pgnvd

As you can see, there is some sort of nvlink error. I can’t quite understand how to go about resolving it. Any ideas?

It should be noted that __gmpz_init_set_si is defined as mpz_init_set_si in the gmp header file. Use of either one as the routine definition allows the compiler to get up to this point. If I don’t define a routine for either, the compiler says the loop is not parallelizable due to undefined routine information.

Thanks,

Hi jrobb61773,

In addition to the prototype, “acc routine” needs to be added to the definition as well.

Do you have access to the GMPxx source?

• Mat

I do! However, I can’t get the GMP to compile with pgc++. Other suggestions?

I do! However, I can’t get the GMP to compile with pgc++. Other suggestions?

That’s a problem. You either need to have a device callable version of these routines available (i.e. add the “routine” directive) or inline them. For inlining you’d need to use pgc++ as well.

What’s the issue with pgc++ compiling GMP?

• Mat