NVMe Flash Only Works With Ubuntu 18

Like many others on here I’ve been struggling to flash an NVMe drive using Ubuntu 20.04. After doing some digging and seeing people talk about successful flashes using Ubuntu 18 I installed it on a USB drive and gave it a shot. The flash worked the first time, no issues.

So, if you’re having trouble using your $500+ hardware that doesn’t work with your OS originally released 3 years ago, try using an OS that was released 5 years ago. If you can’t install Ubuntu 18.04 on a spare device, I’m sorry. Maybe try this workaround and hope you don’t have to apply a firmware patch that requires you to re-flash.

NVIDIA: PLEASE FIX THIS Your devs must be working with outdated tools and it’s impacting your customers. I shouldn’t have to jump through hoops and spend days reading old forum posts just to install the OS on brand new hardware.

Hi,

Are you talking about the usb timeout issue or you are talking about other things?

We do know there is a usb timeout issue and we are still trying to fix that. As for other issue, those are all single cases and case by case. Need log to check.

Hi Wayne,

I have experienced two separate issues when attempting to flash from an Ubuntu 20 machine:

I attempted flashing both via SDKM and manually with

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --external-device nvme0n1 -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_nvme.xml -S 200GiB --showlogs --erase-all jetson-orin-nano-devkit nvme0n1p1