Nvvideoconvert latency increase a lot after idle time

Please provide complete information as applicable to your setup.

• Hardware Platform (Jetson / GPU): Jetson Orin DevKit
• DeepStream Version: 6.1.1
• JetPack Version (valid for Jetson only): 5.0.2 GA Revision 1
• TensorRT Version: 8.4.1.5
• Issue Type( questions, new requirements, bugs): question

My setup has cameras which run in trigger mode (i.e., a camera takes image if it’s triggered, otherwise, no image is taken). I notice that if the trigger is activated rapidly, then the total latency is around 40ms. However, whenever the trigger is idle for a about 10 seconds, then it got triggered, the first buffer will have a significant increase in total latency of about 100ms, then subsequent buffers latency drop back down to 40ms (these subsequent buffers must arrive very close after one another for this drop in latency to happen and the total latency of 40ms to be maintained).

I collected latency for each plugins in my pipeline and it turned out that the nvvideoconvert plugin caused the significant increase of latency after an idle period (i.e., no images taken by the cameras for a few seconds).

I collect 3 samples, here are the plots:

As you can see, the jumps in total latency correspond to the jumps in nvvideoconvert latency.

Why does this phenomenon happen? How do I prevent it?

SInce you think the nvvideoconvert is the bottleneck. Can you try to lock the VPI frequency to get smooth performance with the following script?

VPI - Vision Programming Interface: Performance Benchmark (nvidia.com)

@Fiona.Chen,

Thank you for the reply, after running the script and set the jetson to max clock setting, the jumps in latency after idle time indeed became trivial instead of huge jumps.

So the only way to prevent those huge jump after idle time is to run the jetson at max clock all the time? How much does the max clock setting affect the longevity of the device?

The only impact of the max frequency is increasing the power consumption.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.