Occasionally reboot required because of iscRootDevOpen: can't open /dev/isc-mgr.0.a - Device or resource busy

The following error shows up from time to time when running the nvimg_cap sample (samples/nvmedia/img_cap): iscRootDevOpen: can't open /dev/isc-mgr.0.a - Device or resource busy. A reboot of the xavier usually fixes the problem. The error shows up on different occasions:

• sporadically, even directly after the start of a completely “cold” system
  • sporadically, after killing the sample with ctrl+c

My question would be:

• Is there anything I can do to avoid a reboot and do a “soft” restart of the camera and/or de-serializer device(s)?
  • Is this a known issue and is there any other way to avoid it or reduce the frequency of it occurring?

I tried with SF3324 and SF3325 cameras.

DPX2 PDK Version
5.1.6.1-16902563

Software Version
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)

Target Operating System
Linux

Hardware Platform
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)

SDK Manager Version

Host Machine Version
native Ubuntu 18.04

Dear @sebastian.freitag1,
Please confirm if the camera is already in use by another process when you run nvmimg_cap sample?
How to reproduce the issue on our side?

1 Like

Dear @sebastian.freitag1,
Do you still see this issue. Any update can be provided on above ask? I would suggest you to check with our latest DRIVE release to see if the issue persists.

Hello, thanks for reaching out. I was able to setup some automated testing and analyze it with the following results:

• It turned out to be two separate issues that just looked similar.
  • One instance of the issue could be explained by a process still holding the resource that did not terminate properly. A programming error on our end was the reason.
  • The other instance of the issue (already blocked directly after reboot) happens occasionally if we try to use the camera DIRECTLY after reboot. Just waiting a few seconds solves the problem. Initially I thought a reboot was required but that turned out NOT to be true.

Thank you for your help. Also, ‘lsof’ turned out to be a useful tool to find out what process holds a file.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.