OMPT support in HPC SDK 22.7

All,

from the 22.7 release notes, I see that there is progress on the OMPT side:

The OpenMP Tools (OMPT) interface is now enabled by the HPC Compilers for use with the NVIDIA NSight developer tools.

I tried to use my own tool, but this doesn’t get activated. Is there a way to intercept OMPT events in third-party tools?

With oneAPI, ROCm, Cray and Clang, OMPT works out of the box, at least for host-events. It would be nice to have this in NVHPC as well.

Thanks,
Christian

Hi Christian,

You should be able to use OMPT with your tool by compiling with the “-mp=ompt” flag so the OMPT enabled version of the runtime is linked in.

-Mat

Hi Mat,

adding -mp=ompt activates my tool for 22.5 and 22.7, thanks!

Unfortunately, -mp=ompt results in a linker error for compilers predating 22.5. This can be fixed at configure time of my tool, though.

FYI, with 22.7, registering ompt_callback_target results in ompt_set_never, which is nonconforming according to the OpenMP 5.2 specification [1] (see table 19.2 page 447).

Cheers,
Christian

[1] https://www.openmp.org/wp-content/uploads/OpenMP-API-Specification-5-2.pdf

Hi Christian,

Yes, I we most likely have some bugs in the new OMPT interface. Another user who works on TAU reported a similar failure yesterday, though besides the registration returning ‘never’, he’s also found a segv in our runtime. I’ve opened an issue report.

See:

-Mat

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.