opencv incomplete upon installation

Hi,
I recently re-flashed my TK1 with the most recent version of Jetpack and am trying to compile a program that uses opencv. When I try to compile the program, I get the following errors:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lopencv_videoio
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lopencv_imgcodecs

So, I scped the missing libraries from a raspberry pi that I had compiled the libraries on from source and that took care of the errors. When I tried to compile again, I continue to have more and more dependency errors including

warning: libavcodec.so.56, needed by … not found
warning: libavformat.so.56, needed by… not found
… etc.

So, from past experience, I recognized that these libraries would be found in ffmpeg (not included in the local repos, so, I compiled from source using the github source code) after that, I continue to have the same errors.

My questions are:

1. why are these dependencies not met in the first place? if opencv is going to be included in jet pack, then why are the dependencies not also included?
  2. Why is opencv incomplete? it doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense to only include a few of the libraries users are going to need
  3. How can I solve these dependency issues? Do I need to compile opencv from source on the tk1, and if so, will there be problems with multiple definitions on libraries?

Any help that can be provided would be very appreciated, thank you!