openmpi 1.8 fails to build

All,
I am trying to compile openmpi 1.8 with pgi and have yet to find success. I can compile it with gcc and Intel compilers.

When I try with pgi 13.6 or 14.3 it eventually errors out with:

PGC-S-0094-Illegal type conversion required (btl_scif_component.c: 215)

It seems people have successfully built it with pgi compilers.
Is there something that needs done to ensure it can build?

Hi,

Which options are you using to configure and build OpenMPI 1.8?

Best regards,

+chris

I have tried it with no options and with --with-verbs=yes --with-tm

Then standard ‘make’ afterward.
I also have:
CFLAGS="-fast -I/usr/include"
FCFLAGS=-fast
CXXFLAGS=-fast
CPPFLAGS=-DNO_PGI_OFFSET

Hi,

I was able to get a successful build of OpenMPI 1.8 using the following ./configure line:

CFLAGS="-fast" FFLAGS="-fast" CXXFLAGS="-fast" CPPFLAGS=-DNO_PGI_OFFSET CC=pgcc FC=pgfortran CXX=pgcpp CPP=cpp LD=ld ./configure

I’m not entirely certain if the CPP and LD options are still necessary as of OpenMPI 1.8 - try this with and without, and see. I know we had to specify them in the past to get around various build problems with OpenMPI using PGI compilers.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

+chris

Those options made no difference…
With pgi, (both version 13 and 14) it consistently gives me:

Making all in mca/btl/scif
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/openmpi-1.8/ompi/mca/btl/scif’
CC btl_scif_component.lo
PGC-S-0094-Illegal type conversion required (btl_scif_component.c: 215)
PGC/x86-64 Linux 14.3-0: compilation completed with severe errors
make[2]: *** [btl_scif_component.lo] Error 1

Can you tell me which OS you are using? Unfortunately, I have not been successful at reproducing the issue here yet.

I’m curious as to what the differences in config.log are between your build and the successful builds that have been done. Can you run the following command in the top level of your OpenMPI 1.8 tree:

find . -name config.log | tar cf /tmp/configlogs.tar -T -

And then send the resulting file at /tmp/configlogs.tar to me via trs@pgroup.com. (Request that they forward it to Chris.) I’ll do a comparison versus my config.log files, and see if they turn up any obvious differences.

Best regards,

+chris