openSUSE Leap on Jetson AGX Xavier

Does anybody know, how to run a openSUSE Leap 15.2 on Jetson AGX Xavier?

Flashing without applying nvidia binaries before:

sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier mmcblk0p1

…is running well (with kernel 4.9.140-tegra aarch64).

But when I try to apply the drivers to the rootfs (works just with the sample root fs):

sudo ./apply_binaries.sh

…it fails with:

Using rootfs directory of: ~/nvidia/Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs
~/nvidia/Linux_for_Tegra/nv_tegra/nv-apply-debs.sh
Root file system directory is ~/nvidia/Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs
Copying public debian packages to rootfs
Start L4T BSP package installation
QEMU binary is not available, looking for QEMU from host system
Found /usr/bin/qemu-aarch64-static
Installing QEMU binary in rootfs
~/nvidia/Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs ~/nvidia/Linux_for_Tegra
Installing BSP Debian packages in ~/nvidia/Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs
chroot: failed to run command ‘dpkg’: No such file or directory

…but dpkg and qemu-aarch64-static are already installed!

Thanks a lot!

If you are using the more recent JetPack/SDKM 4.3 (L4T R32.3.1+), then apply_binaries.sh has switched from copying files in directly to using “.deb” files via qemu. SuSE uses “.rpm” files, and so this cannot work with the more recent releases. The “dpkg” error is about missing the “.deb” tools which do not exist in SuSE (the host PC may have those, but not a SuSE root filesystem).

OK, now I understand, why https://elinux.org/Jetson/Porting_openSUSE isn’t working.

What approach could you suggest, to get the nvidia drivers to my root?

The porting of an o/s is a rather large topic (volumes could be written on the topic). In this particular case you may want to install the supported Ubuntu and compare this side-by-side to files of SuSE. In particular, if you were to go to the L4T URL for a particular release, unpack the driver package (as a regular user, not sudo), then unpack the sample rootfs into the “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/” location with sudo, you have the base Ubuntu files. You could perhaps log the final command which actually populates the rootfs with the NVIDIA files:
sudo ./apply_binaries.sh

I don’t know how much this would show, but on earlier releases this was just unpacking of some tar files, whereas in more recent releases this has been from installing “.deb” files via QEMU. You could find out what is in each “.deb” file (for more recent releases), and then copy the content out of the “Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/” area (or have an Ubuntu host and find the developer tools which would allow extracting “.deb” file content to some temporary work area).

Having just files is often not enough. If for example libraries depend on a certain release version, and if SuSE uses a compatible version, then libraries would work…but if there is a slightly incompatible version, then SuSE would fail to use those. The effort to install a new distribution is about as far from trivial as it gets. That particular URL appears to have been last updated in 2015 prior to the change from tar archive files for install to instead become “.deb” packages. So you have about 5 years of updates to consider.