OpenVDB

Any possibility of OpenVDB files working directly inside of Omniverse? I see that a NanoVDB emitter is present in the software, so I’m wondering if it’s possible now or may be in the future?

OpenVDB can already be loaded and converted to NanoVDB on the fly. So the NanoVDB emitter will work with OpenVDB files. Broader support of OpenVDB/NanoVDB is in progress.

Interesting. I can’t seem to figure out how to get it to work. VDB files seem to be unrecognized, they all show up as question marks in Omniverse Create. I’m probably doing something wrong or I’m unaware of something. I’ve been reading through the documents and can’t seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the quick reply!

It might not show up properly yet in the normal content browser, but if you use the button highlighted, you should be able to select an OpenVDB file this way. For the example shown, float is the expected data type.

1 Like

Thanks so much that’s exactly what I was looking for. It seems that when I try to import a 100 frame VDB animation, it seems to crash omniverse create. I’ve managed to get it to work with just 1 frame and it shows up but other then that it crashes. I’m not sure if I’m doing something incorrect, or it could just be an internal issue because it’s in beta. Thanks for the help either way, much appreciated!

Would you be willing to share a bit of information on this crash? In particular, there should be a log file at:
c:\Users\ {username} \ .nvidia-omniverse\logs\Kit\Create\2020.3*.log
If you do not want to share the entire log file, the most relevant entries are the ones with [Fatal] [carb.crashreporter-breakpad.plugin].

No problem! Once I get a moment i’ll look for the file and share it with you.

Hi, I follow the document of using Nano VDB and I sucessfully import the VDB file. However, through the method you mentioned before it can only read one VDB file at a time.
Take Houdini for example. For 60 frames smoke simulation, I will export 60 continuous VDB files.
Can I import these continuous smoke simulation files in Omniverse? Or I can just read one VDB file at a time? I want to import the whole simulation.
Thanks!

Hello @qazpolity! Welcome to the Community! I see that you have another post with the same question. I will post your answers there! Nano VDB