OptiX 7.4 driver requirement

According to the download page, “NOTE: Requires NVIDIA R495.89 driver or newer.”. Linux seems to have 495.44 at the newest. Will that driver work?

I tried downloading and building the SDK. I had one failure:

/home/bbudge/Downloads/NVIDIA-OptiX-SDK-7.4.0-linux64-x86_64/SDK/optixNVLink/optixNVLink.cpp:68:10: fatal error: nvml.h: No such file or directory
 #include <nvml.h>

All other pieces build and run without issue against CUDA 11.5 on 495.44. I’m guessing I just failed to install some cuda library that brings in nvml.h.

Yes, any R495 driver should support OptiX 7.4.0.
Linux and Windows drivers are usually not at the same version number. That comment is most likely Windows centric.
Just use the latest available R495 driver to get the most recent implementation.

Before setting up a development environment for OptiX, please read the OptiX Release Notes. (Link directly under each version’s download button). It contains more information about the system requirements.

nvml.h comes with the CUDA Toolkit installation and resides inside the include folder of each version I looked at (under Windows though).
Please check your CUDA Toolkit installation. Let us know if that is really missing inside your CUDA 11.5 installation under Linux. That would be an error.

Interestingly that occurred on my CentOS 8 machine, and I used the rpmfusion testing repo to get 495 drivers. On Fedora (also using rpmfusion), I get different errors out of the box, many instances of things like:

usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/optixCompileWithTasks.dir/optixCompileWithTasks.cpp.o: undefined reference to symbol 'dlsym@@GLIBC_2.2.5'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line

That leads me to believe that I either left out the cuda libs for nvml, or it is mispackaged in rpmfusion testing repo. No big deal.

The issues I’m seeing on my Fedora machine seem to be the cmake setup forgetting to link libdl. I was able to fix all issues here by adding -ldl -pthread to CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS