[OptiX 7.5] Debuggable OptiX-IR makes isnan() not working

Hello, I’m testing OptiX-IR instead of PTX input.
I have found that kernels compiled as OptiX-IR for debugging make the isnan() function in kernels not working.

“Debuggable” here means the pipeline and the module are compiled/linked with OPTIX_COMPILE_OPTIMIZATION_LEVEL_0 / OPTIX_COMPILE_DEBUG_LEVEL_FULL, and OptiX-IR uses -G -O0 and PTX uses -lineinfo as compile options.

I made a very simple reproducer.

This repro runs the same kernel with 4 configurations (Release ptx, Release optix-ir, Debuggable ptx, Debuggable optix-ir).
The kernel simply print a NaN:

float v = 0.0f / 0.0f;
printf("%f, (isnan: %u, 0x%08x)\n",
       v, isnan(v), __float_as_uint(v));

All the configurations but Debuggable OptiX-IR print:
-nan(ind), (isnan: 1, 0xffc00000)
Debuggable OptiX-IR prints:
-nan(ind), (isnan: 0, 0xffc00000)

Thanks,

My Environment:
OptiX 7.5.0 / CUDA 11.7
Driver: 516.94
Visual Studio 2022 17.3.3
Windows 10 21H2
RTX 3080 10GB

This reproduces for me in an unreleased driver, so I’ve filed a bug report. Thank you for taking the time to make such a nice reproducer!!

David.

Hey BTW I completely forgot to ask about workarounds.

Are you unblocked and able to continue working by using the test (v != v) in place of isnan(v)? I tried this on your reproducer, and it reports a correct “1” for all cases including the OptiX-IR+Debug config. I just wanted to make sure there isn’t more to it, and that this bug isn’t blocking your development.

David.

Thanks for letting me know.

OptiX-IR bug is not the blocker for me since we can still use ptx as the input. However OptiX-IR seems not ready as the default input because this bug made me feel there are other potential weird behaviors with other things than isnan() and it also has another bug I reported as you know … :(

Well, debugging with OptiX-IR seems still beta according to the release note though.

I can wait for now for the fixed driver and/or the next OptiX update (and I’m looking forward to see how OptiX API looks like to support OMM and DMM for Ada-Lovelace :) )

1 Like

This issue seems to be still there with the latest driver as of today, 535.98.

Has this issue been officially fixed?
The issue seems not to happen with CUDA 12.2 / OptiX 8.0.0 / 546.17.

Thanks,

Yes, this is fixed in R535 and newer branches.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.