OptiX 7 Ambiguity about matrix of instance build input

In the OptiX 7.0 Documentation (5.2), I see we need to provide a 3x4 object-to-world matrix for an instance build input. However, in the source code of class OptixInstance, I found the annotation about the variable transform (line 464 in optix_7_types.h) is world-to-object.

Is the annotation an error?

Hi @yetsun, I believe the header file is correct, and the error is in the Programming Guide. Thanks for letting us know, we’ll get it fixed!

David.

Hi @dhart, I find that setting the variable transform of IAS build input using the object-to-world matrix is correct.

Here is my simple test:

1. First, I make the camera look at the center of the scene's AABB. I construct the AABB according to the local mesh transformed by object-to-world matrix.
  2. Then, while running my program, I can see my scene only if I set the variable transform as the object-to-world matrix instead of the world-to-object one.

And I find what sutil/Scene.cpp does is also to set that variable as an object-to-world matrix.

So, the annotation of the header file seems wrong.

By the way, I find another mistake of the header file sutil/Aabb.h (line 31):

• Should #include instead of a repeat #include

Dang, I guessed wrong. Usually the header files are more current than the docs. Good catch on the include as well. Thank you for pointing these mistakes out, the feedback is helpful!

David.