Optix, retrieve triangle ID during raycasting for scientific analysis

I am working on a project where I need to calculate what percentage of the image each triangle is occupying.
I couldn’t find anything similar on the SDK examples or on the documentation pages.

Some of the requirements are that I don’t want to change the mesh topology by specify per vertex colours and that I will be importing the geometry using objs.

My question is: Is there a way retrieve for each Ray hit the triangle ID? Given that can I also get the mesh ID?

Please have a look into this thread which explains possible options:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1025193/optix/pick-ray/post/5328261[/url]

With OptiX 7 that wouldn’t need a variable per GeometryInstance to identify a mesh because the instance acceleration structure (IAS) itself can be queried for a user supplied instance ID with optixGetInstanceId() or for the instance index under the bottom-most IAS with optixGetInstanceIndex(), and the primitive index is always available inside the device code in any OptiX version.

@spsarras,

For retrieving the triangle ID in your closest hit program when using built-in hardware accelerated triangles, see rtGetPrimitiveIndex() in OptiX 6, or optixGetPrimitiveIndex() in OptiX 7.

David.