Orin NX 16GN not booting

I purchased an Orin NX 16GB module from Arrow to use with a carrier board I purchased from SeeedStudio (A603). When I put it on the carrier board, I get nothing - no HDMI splash screen, no fan turning on. In forced recovery mode, I see the NVIDIA usb device, but I can’t flash it following the normal directions.

I have confirmed that the carrier board is working fine by putting a second Orin NX module I own on it (from my dev kit). The splash screen comes up on the HDMI with the dev kit module. The new module also does nothing on the dev kit carrier board - no splash, no fan, etc.

is there some extra step I have to do to put the UEFI Bootloader on the board before I can flash it? It’s acting like it has no software at all loaded on it - should it display a splash out of the box?

This is the module I bought:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/900-13767-0000-000/nvidia

Figured it out. Found a bare metal x86 machine running Ubuntu 20 and it worked. Dont know if the problem was the other machines I flashed with were Arm or newer Ubuntu, but the flashing failing with “error 8” was no a good indicator of the issue.

The software which performs the flash must run on a desktop PC architecture. ARM architecture will fail as a host PC (it isn’t a PC architecture).

The target software release version also changes what version of Ubuntu is allowed during flash, so both of your thoughts on requirements (hardware type and Ubuntu release) are valid questions. When you flash, you are installing L4T; in turn, L4T is Ubuntu with NVIDIA drivers. You can find the L4T release with “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”. For L4T R35.x you can use an Ubuntu 18.04 or 20.04 host PC. For L4T R36.x you can use an Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04 host PC. For command line you can use a much wider range of host Linux flavors, but you still need the desktop PC architecture (usually called amd64, but also x86_64).

For custom carrier boards you might need to also use the flash software from the provider of that board. If you find parts of your SeeedStudio carrier board do not function, then you probably need to use their flash software. In cases where someone else provides software it’ll normally be either a patch to the NVIDIA flash software (mainly device tree edits), or a rebranded version of the NVIDIA flash software (again with device tree edits). Lane routing often differs in third party carrier boards.

If you flash on command line, beware that a separately purchased module is never exactly the same as a dev kit. You might end up naming a different “similar” target if flashing on command line. The AGX Orin sold separately might have more memory, but the dev kit does have eMMC, so there might not be much difference.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.