Particle Spatial Data Structure Overflow causes?

Hi, I am running a particle sim and notice that I had particle disappearing at random… it turns out the cause was PxParticleFlag::eSPATIAL_DATA_STRUCTURE_OVERFLOW

What can be the cause of this flag to be set?

I am running the sim in software mode and have tried lots of different grid sizes. Including numbers as large as 1000 but the particles are still overflowing.

Is there some way this flag is getting set on my particles that is not related to the grid size? How can I allocate a large enough data structure to contain for example… 1000m x 1000m

EDIT::
Instead of using one fluid object for all my particles, I created many different ones. In this case, there is no overflow error but the particles don’t all interact. Maybe it’s the case that there can only be a certain number of particles per grid area in a fluid? Around 20-30k?

Sorry, maybe it wasn’t clear above but the problem is not fixed for me. Using multiple different fluids means that the particles don’t collide with one another (which I need them to do).

So, anyone have any idea why I would get a PxParticleFlag::eSPATIAL_DATA_STRUCTURE_OVERFLOW even when my grid size is so large?

Maybe it’s the case that there can only be a certain number of particles per grid area in a fluid? Around 20-30k?
Hardly this is the case. There are examples of PhysX fluids sims running with 100k of particles without any issues.

There are examples of PhysX fluids sims running with 100k of particles without any issues.
Although I have seen these for previous versions of PhysX, I have no really seen one for PhysX 3.x.

There is Torsten Spaete’s fluid sandbox but it becomes unstable when you add around 100k particles, so it’s hard to tell what’s going on. Also, there is unfortunately no ability to change the grid size.

It’s probably a stretch that there is a max number of particles per grid section but otherwise I’m at a loss. In theory, a grid cell size of say 100 (100m sized cubes), should work fine for pretty much any scene. The documentation states that the grid is composed of 10x10x10 cells so you would end up with 1km x 1km x 1km total grid size… which is far beyond what I need anyhow.

Though you make a good point about demos and how I’m being a bit of a dumbass… I guess I could just fire up the included SDK demo scene and alter it to be a particle spewing madhouse with any grid size really. I’ll do that