Passing array sizes to shared memory

Hi,

I’m using CUDA Fortran. In the kernel I can use “integer, value :: N” to specify the size of an array in global memory. But if gives me an error if I try to do the same for an array in shared memory.

This doesn’t work:

attributes(global) subroutine my_kernell(Xdev,N)
real, device, dimension(N,1) :: Xdev  
real, shared :: Xshared(N) 
integer, value :: N

But this works (assuming N=10):

real, shared :: Xshared(10) 

Any idea why? How to pass the size of an arrays in shared memory (using a variable)?

Hi Alberto,

The issue here is that ‘Xshared’ is an automatic array and automatics are implicitly allocated upon entry to the function. However, GPU threads can’t allocate memory so we had to make automatics illegal within device code. Hence, all local device arrays need to be fixed size.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Thanks a lot for your response.

In my code “N” is gonna be constant through all the program
(an “integer, parameter” in the main program).

Is there anyway I could of say “Xshared” to have a size “N”?
(In such a way that if I want to modify the value of “N” I will only
modify the main program, and then compile it).

Alberto.

Hi Alberto,

If N is parameter in the same module or in another module that’s used in the same as your kernels, then it would be ok to use since the size is fixed. Otherwise, you can use preprocessing macros to set the value of N across multiple files.

Something like:

module myparams
  integer : N
  PARAMETER (N = 256)  
! or
  PARAMETER (N = NVAL) ! where NVAL is set on the command line -DNVAL=256
end module myparams

module mykernels

use myparams

contains

attributes(global) subroutine mykernel(Arr)

implicit none

real, dimension(N), Arr
  real, shared, dimension(N) :: sharedArr

end subroutine mykernel

end module mykernels

Hope this helps,
Mat

How about passing the array size during kernel invocation. In other words, make Xshared an assumed-size array in the kernel.

real, shared :: Xshared(*) 

Then, when calling the kernel, specify a size for shared memory.

call my_kernel <<<grids, blocks, n*sizeof(real)>>> (x, n)

Hi E. Sumbar,

In Fortran (not just with CUDA Fortran), assumed-size array can only be used with dummy arguments so wouldn’t work with Xshared.

• Mat

Hi Mat,
What you stated seem not to agree with what described in the CUDA Fortran manual 10.9 (pg 24/56) - last paragraph.

Shared arrays that are not dummy arguments may be declared as assumed-size arrays; that is, the last
dimension of a shared array may have an asterisk as its upper bound:

Could you please confirm?

Tuan

What you had in your previous example was right, you can have a shared memory array with unspecified upper bounds, and it will get sized via the 3rd argument in the chevron syntax. Note, however, that all arrays that are declared that way overlay each other. This is consistent with CUDA C.

Thanks for clarifying Brent. I had forgotten that the third argument of the chevron was a variable size of the shared memory.

• Mat