pgcnv.EXE: fread: cannot read data

When I compile our programme with pgf90 -Mmpi it gives the following error message and doesn’t produce an exe file. We use Windows Server 2008 R2 and MS MPI. Could anybody help?

C:\PROGRA~1\PGI/win64/11.7/bin\pgcnv.EXE C:\temp\pgf906eQCyd_z6mMCag.obj C:\temp
\pgf907f6CydUPnXRShV.obj
C:\PROGRA~1\PGI/win64/11.7/bin\pgcnv.EXE: fread: cannot read data
pgf90-Fatal-conv completed with exit code 1

Hi krzyzak,

The error seems to indicate that pgcnv can’t read the temporary object files. Does the directory “C:\temp” exist and do you have permissions to read/write to it?

Try setting the environment variable “TMP” to a directory that you know you have read/write permissions.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Yes, I can see other temporary files created during the process there. See another output below:

“C:/Program Files/PGI/win64/11.7/bin\as64.EXE” C:\temp\pgf905dhC3v1S6Gmef.s “-I”
C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2"/include" -o C:\temp\pgf906e-C39FZpxq4U.obj

“C:/Program Files/PGI/win64/11.7/bin\pgcnv.EXE” C:\temp\pgf906e-C39FZpxq4U.obj C:\temp\pgf907f3C3LFVjkrmw.obj
C:/Program Files/PGI/win64/11.7/bin\pgcnv.EXE: fread: cannot read data
pgf90-Fatal-conv completed with exit code 1

Unlinking C:\temp\pgf902aFC3DJHISmNE.ilm
Unlinking C:\temp\pgf903bxC3f-ncKKR3.cmod
Unlinking C:\temp\pgf904cpC3T3D7Q_7T.cmdx
Unlinking C:\temp\pgf905dhC3v1S6Gmef.s
Unlinking C:\temp\pgf906e-C39FZpxq4U.obj
Unlinking C:\temp\pgf907f3C3LFVjkrmw.obj

Is there a flag for pgf90 that would allow to keep temporary files?

Thanks
Tomasz

Tomasz,

What happens if you drop -Mmpi ? Do you see the same failure,
or just linker errors (‘cannot find the reference…’) ?

Can you send the failing output dialog when you add
-v

to the compile and link steps?

thanks,
dave

Hi Dave,

We’ve got other applications compiling and working without MPI. This one gives just linker errors without -Mmpi.

The output I posted comes from -v option. These are the last lines and there are thousands of lines before that. I could email you the rest if you send me your email address.

Thanks
Tomasz