pgf77-Error--tp p7 not supported in this installation

Hello,

I have installed pgi-5.2 and the examples work fine.
When adding
-tp p7
in the Makefile-Line
EXTRA_FFLAGS= -fast -Mconcur -Minline=saxpy,sscal -Minfo
I get the Error
pgf77-Error–tp p7 not supported in this installation

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Simon************

Hi Simon,

You probably did not install the 32-bit compilers along with the 64-bit compilers. Using “-tp p7” or “-tp k8” force the use of the 32-bit compilers.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

I have only the 32-bit version installed.
The compiler run on a 32-bit Quad-Xeon machine.

I get also errors with:
pgf77-Error–tp p7-64 not supported in this installation
pgf77-Error–tp p7-64 available only on X86_64 systems
pgf77-Error–tp piv not supported in this installation
pgf77-Error–tp hammer not supported in this installation
pgf77-Error–tp amd64 available only on AMD Opteron and Athlon-64 systems

Is there any chance to get the default tp option
of the compiler?

Thanks
Simon

I get also errors with:
pgf77-Error–tp p7-64 not supported in this installation
pgf77-Error–tp p7-64 available only on X86_64 systems
pgf77-Error–tp hammer not supported in this installation
pgf77-Error–tp amd64 available only on AMD Opteron and Athlon-64 systems

These make sense if you don’t have the 64-bit compilers installed. As for “-tp p7” and “-tp piv”, these should work unless you’ve changed the directory names. When you use the -tp switch or -V (version) with a different release, ex “-V5.1”, pgf77 (and the other compilers) attempt to restart with the appropriate compiler. This makes it convient when you want to easily switch between 32 and 64-bits or different versions of the compiler. For uniformity, the compiler restarts with the tp switch even if it is restarting itself.

Because of this, if you change your directory name and/or structure, the tp switch may fail to work. The bin directory structure for 32-bit linux is $BASEPGIDIR/linux86/$VERSION/bin. So if you’ve changed to something like $BASEPGIDIR/bin the tp switch will not work.

Is there any chance to get the default tp option
of the compiler?

The default tp option depends upon which system your compiling on. Using pgf77 -show will show you all the variables the compiler uses. Look for the variable “TPVAL”. This gives the x and y switch for your particular system. A Xeon should be “-y 80 x1000 -x 80 0x40000300”. For other tp related x,y switches refer to the “switch -tp” section of your bin directory’s “x86rc” file. Note, avoid using x and y switches from the command line since “-tp” does other things besides setting these values.

• Mat