PGF77 Warning Message

Hi,

I’m using two scripts and running a mix of pgf95 and pgf77 compilers.
The pgf95 runs fine, but when using PGF77 compilers, I always got these warnings (two warnings each time).

pgf77-Warning-Malformed $expr(), nonnumeric value >=

(SORRY - somehow I wasn’t able to post the complete question. Had to break into two posts)
I did some research and looked for the exact same warning messages. It seems like these are coming from compatibility issues. I wonder if I am having the same compatibility issue. Please help.

The computer has Intel Xeon CPU, and runs Ubuntu 18.04. ← It seems like this CPU is not supported by PGI 2019. Could this be the reason?

The pgf77 command which causes the warning is:
pgf77 -byteswapio -Mextend update_bathy_wSTEroDep.f

Which 2019 version? We did have an issue with some the pgf77 RC files (the compiler config files) in 19.4 which would cause this error. This was fixed in 19.5. The work around would be to use pgfortran to compile all of your files.

The computer has Intel Xeon CPU, and runs Ubuntu 18.04. ← It seems like this CPU is not supported by PGI 2019. Could this be the reason?

Xeon is just brand name for several CPUs. What the actual architecture? (as seen by running “pgcpuid” or “cat /proc/cpuinfo”)

Sunny Cove (aka Ice Lake) would be the only architecture we don’t yet fully support, but that only started shipping this month. Though in that case, you should be able to build targeting Skylake (-tp skylake) and it would just not use any of the new AVX-512 instructions.

Note that we no longer ship pgf77 with our LLVM (default) compilers and will eventually stop shipping it altogether. Pgfortran supports F77 and you should use it instead. The only small difference is that pgf77 supports some very old non-standard extensions that didn’t get carried over to pgfortran.

-Mat