PGI 14.4 No socket connection to license server manager

I have PGI 14.2 and 14.4 installed on the same PC. When I compile a helloword program with 14.2 it works with no problem, but 14.4 gives the following error:

pgf90 helloworld.f90
pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgi-f95-lin64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: No socket connection to license server manager.
Feature:       pgi-f95-lin64
License path:  27102@plicence.uni.edu.au:/share/apps/opt/pgi/license.dat:
FlexNet Licensing error:-7,10015
For further information, refer to the FlexNet Licensing documentation,
available at "www.flexerasoftware.com".

Does the license server need to be updated for 14.4, if it is working for 14.2?
We use modules to switch between versions.

The problem was fixed when the license server machine had the license daemon upgraded to 14.4.

Yes. 14.3 changed pgroupd to support the new Linux ‘biodevnames’/Considtent Network Device Naming,
and you need pgroupd from 14.3 or newer to work with those
releases.


dave

Our Windows license server is running daemon 11.10 which is the most recent download from the PGI site. Is there a newer daemon somewhere as we’re experiencing the same issue – our 13.9 PGI installs contact the server fine where our new 14.4 fails with the above error.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

We have demonstrated internally that 14.4 and 14.6 Linux compilers can
use Windows servers without problem. The lmgrd and pgroupd versions 11.10 that come with Windows have no problem.

This makes us think that there is another issue at stake.

  1. firewall is letting the old compiler/pgroupd to get through,
    but not the new compiler/pgroupd

  2. An older license that supported previous releases is being used,
    because the new license was not copied/edited to the target as Administrator.

  3. the old license was properly updated, but the license service is still reading
    the older ‘cached’ license. Stopping and Starting the license service should
    cause the cached license to be updated.

dave

Well,

we have updated our license server today (xp -> win7) we got the same error.
After some playing around I found the following solution:
We had all flexlm licenses in one file. We have separated all license into dedicated
files, putting pgi.dat at the first place of the LM_LICENSE_FILE variable.
For me it seem’s to be a problem of license file parsing. Your software never looks for ALL
information, but seems to stop after a few lines.

Please check it!