PGI accel report: not enough info "Could not find alloc

Hi all!

When PGI failed to determent size of an array it just report about it. It doesn’t inform which array it is.

PGF90-W-0155-Compiler failed to translate accelerator region (see -Minfo messages): Could not find allocated-variable index for symbol (<path to file>/<file>.f90: 124)

I have dozen arrays and I would like to see the name of the array, which makes compiler to print above mentioned message

Alexey

Hi Alexey,

These messages mean the compiler errored for some reason. Can you send in a reproducing example?

Thanks,
Mat

Hi Mat,

Example was sent to trs[ at ]pgroup…

Alexey

Hi Alexey,

The problem here is that you’re trying to use a “pointer” in a private clause. Unfortunately, we only have limited support for “pointers” in OpenACC regions. I went ahead and sent a report to our engineers (TPR#18918) to see what can be done, or at least provide a better error message.

The work around is to change “jloc” to a fixed size array.

Thanks for the report,
Mat

Hi,
Are there any news on this topic? I couldn’t find an entry on the bug fixes…
We do have a big code here that we wanted to accelerate with OpenACC. However, we get the same error message (and cannot use the work around for that code).
Bye, Sandra

Hi xray,

I sent a note to engineering to see where their at on this one. I’ll post the status once I learn more.

• Mat

Dear Mat,
Did you have any news?
Bye, Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Sorry, I forgot to follow-up with Michael. I sent him a note but he never got back to me. I’ll try again.

However, there aren’t any notes in the issue tracker and it still fails in the 13.0 pre-release, so I don’t think anything has been done with it. Hopefully Michael will have more insight on when his team will be able to add support for “pointers” in a private clause.

• Mat