PGI v19.4 OpenACC Deep copy

Hi,

With your help, I have managed to do deep copy for a fortran code, e.g

!$ACC ENTER DATA COPYIN(Op,Op%Dop,Op%Dop%values,Op%Dop%columns,Op%Dop%pointer)

With that, the code works fine until PGI v19.3. Now I try to compile the code using the latest version v19.4 and the compiling log likes

400, Generating enter data copyin(op%dop%pointer(:),op%dop%columns(:),op%dop,op%dop%values(:),op)

However, when I run the code on a P100 GPU, there are error information

Failing in Thread:1
call to cudaGetSymbolAddress returned error 35: Other

and then it becomes to be hanging.

With the new release, should we have to write the deep copy directory “acc policy” ?

Thanks. /JG

Hi JG,

With the new release, should we have to write the deep copy directory “acc policy” ?

No, manual deep copy should still work, so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

Can you either post or send to PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com) a reproducing example? I can take a look and try to determine what’s going on.

call to cudaGetSymbolAddress returned

We use this call to look up if the address of the variable is a CUDA pointer, managed, or pinned. Are you using the “-Mcuda” flag? We don’t usually add this check unless “-Mcuda” is used to link.

Has anything else changed on the system such as the CUDA Driver you’re using, such as CUDA 10.1?

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Can you either post or send to PGI Customer Service (> trs@pgroup.com> ) a reproducing example? I can take a look and try to determine what’s going on.

As the Fortran code is written with very complex data structures, it is very difficult to extract that part to a simple example. So, I will send the source code and a test case to trs@pgroup.com

The code worked on P100 and V100 GPU using cuda v9.2, v10.0 and v10.1

Thanks. /JG

Hi Mats,

I have sent the source code and a test case to PGI Customer Service (trs@pgroup.com) in the last weekend. However, as I did not get any confirmation, I am not sure if you have received the email or not.

Thanks. /JG

Hi JG,

I’ll ask Alex who answers our TRS mail if he’s seen it, but in looking through our support mail, I’m not seeing your note. Maybe the attachment was too large so didn’t go through?

If this is the case, I’ve had good experiences with using Slack. So another possibility is for you to join the OpenACC User Group’s Slack channel (Community | OpenACC) and send me the package via a direct message.

Another fall back is for me to setup a secure FTP. In this case, please confirm that the email you use for you PGI user account is the one I should use. Otherwise, send a note to Alex, asking him to forward it to me, with the email address I can use for sftp.

-Mat

Hi Mats,

The attachment is not so large (~800k). My emails have been rejected few times but finally I was able to send in one email with removing few filtered files.

I prefer to use the secure FTP and can confirm that the email that I registered for the PGI user forum is used.

Thanks. /JG

Still not seeing the email in trs. I’ll send you an email with a link you can use to FTP the code.

-Mat

Hi Mat,

I have now uploaded the package by the FTP. You can directly send me emails if you need more information.

Thanks./JG