Platform API via GRPC?

Hi,

What’s the current status of the Platform API via GRPC? (As of 0.6.0-b911a13)

I would really like to use this API and have already got the GPRC client bits in place, however I notice that the topic is now empty in the docs. (I can still get at old content via a different route).

Is this going to be developed further? I would like to know before I do any more work on it, if not, what other mechanism to you suggest to control/modify/create/query job/pipelines/payload from client applications?

If it is still there, can you let me know what parts are actually implemented? Nearly everything I’ve current tried returns a response of “UNIMPLEMENTED”. I thought more of this would be there with the latest version.

Regards,

Darren

Hello darren.thompson,

Thanks for your question and for using the Clara Deploy Platform API. The API is not going away, so need to be concerned about that happening. The omission from the documentation was an error. My apologies for that.

The only API which should be returning UNIMPLMENTED as of 0.6.0 would be ModelsService::ListModels. If other RPC entry-points are returning UNIMPLEMENTED please let me know which ones as that would be a bug that needs to be remedied.

Hi jwyman,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! That’s great news, I had already factored using the API into a system i’m in the process of designing and implemented and hoped I wouldn’t have to change course.

I have recently returned to trying the API after installing the latest version of clara (0.6.0).

If as you say most of the API is fleshed out then maybe my problem is due to my usage. Currently, I’m just trying to get a list of installed pipelines.

I’m attempting to use the Pipeline “List” routine, I’m a bit uncertain as to how to populate the RequestHeader, do I need to specify a particular version? Currently, I’m not setting any version number and are using “test” as the user_agent. When doing this I get the following response:

status = StatusCode.UNIMPLEMENTED
details = “”
debug_error_string = “{“created”:”@1596149190.877203820",“description”:“Error received from peer ipv4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:50051”,“file”:“src/core/lib/surface/call.cc”,“file_line”:1056,"

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Darren

I’ve been doing some more work today, and I was wondering if there is a public version of the grpc “proto” file available? I have constructed my own one directly from the docs which I’m assuming has probably changed, and this could be the source of some of my problems.

I’ve noticed several typos and mistakes in the docs definitions, for example (everything is =1):

message Version {
int32 major = 1;
int32 minor = 1;
int32 patch = 1;
string label = 1;
}

Regards,

Darren

Hi darren.thompson,

My apologies for not responding earlier - local weather has made it prohibitive. The short answer is “yes, there should be but it appears that there’s not”; which quite frankly disappoint me. I’ll see what I can do to get the GRPC protocol buffer definitions made available.

Thanks for you patience.

darren.thompson,

Attached is a zip archive of the R6 (v0.6.x) GRPC contracts. Hopefully this is helpful.

clara-grpc.zip (8.6 KB)

1 Like

specifically with the error

status = StatusCode.UNIMPLEMENTED
details = “”
debug_error_string = “{“created”:”@1596149190.877203820",“description”:“Error received from peer 
ipv4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:50051”,“file”:“src/core/lib/surface/call.cc”,“file_line”:1056,"

the issue could be that the API is a streaming API and you’re attempting to read it as a non-streaming API. Just a hunch.

Hi jwyman,

Problem solved! The updated GRPC proto files you sent through did the trick and I can now successfully communicate with the API.

I’m sorry to hear your are having some problems locally. Given you are Northern hemisphere and being NVIDIA, are you currently affected by the fires in California?

I can appreciate what you’re going through, I’m in Melbourne, Australia and fires have been a big problem. Currently, we’re in a government ordered “state of disaster” with a stage four lockdown due to a COVID spike and we’re all ordered to stay indoors. Thankfully, it doesn’t affect my work (or my job)

Thanks again for your help and stay safe!

Darren

Thanks for your concerns darren.thompson. No, I’m not in CA but on the US East Coast with tropical storms happening. I’ve two friends in Australia (one in Melbourne, the other in Sydney) and I’ve heard about the fires. Absolutely terrible and terrifying. I’m happy to hear that the GRPC .proto files solved your problems, and that you’re safe and sound as well.

You’re very welcome and stay safe,

J