Pointer on 64 bit variables

Hi,

in my kernel I need to access a 64 bit variable with two 32 bit pointers. But for some reason when I increment the pointer pp by one, it no longer points to the “second half” of the 64 bit variable.

__global__ void kernel (uint32* ioptr)

{

uint64  p  = 0x0123456789abcdef;

uint32* pp = (uint32*)(&p);

*ioptr++ = *pp++;

*ioptr   = *pp;

}

Now the output should be:

ioptr[0] = 89abcdef

ioptr[1] = 01234567

But I always get:

ioptr[0] = 89abcdef

ioptr[1] = some arbitrary value

Anyone with an idea or suggestion?

I’m not 100% sure, but if you’re doing pointer arithmetic on a register, I don’t think that works.

Yeah it looks like you’re right. Using the same operations on variables residing in shared or global memory space works just fine. Unfortunately using 64-bit variables and accessing them through 32-bit pointers isn’t coalesced in shared memory and only “pseudo coalesced” in global memory.

But thanks for your suggestion. Helped me a lot.

You mean that the nvcc compiler was really letting you take the address of an in-register variable? That is surely a bug! It should have put it into lmem, which would’ve butchered performance but given you the right result.

I would suggest filing a bug report. (Make a simple self-contained program that exhibits the problem.) I think it’s the fact that you’re using integers. Integers aren’t thoroughly tested in CUDA.