Porting Android on Jetson TX2

Hi Team,

We have received the NVIDIA JETSON TX2 Development Kit for our development and want to flash the Android Automotive AOSP build on the development kit. We have below questions regarding it.

1. Will this board support android porting ?

2. If it is supporting the Android Automotive AOSP, then what are the configuration we have to modify here? Any board configuration parameters?

3. Do you have a sample android configuration, i.e. your specific makefiles in the device folder in Android AOSP?

Please let us know about the same. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Balram Panwar

Hi balram.panwar,

The Android OS is not supported on Jetson TX2, the provides L4T is the Ubuntu Linux and kernel, bootloader, NVIDIA drivers, flashing utilities, sample filesystem, and more for the Jetson platform, please refer to: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/develop/software

Thanks

Hi Kayccc,
Thanks for the info. Understand that Android OS is not supported. I’d like to know if it’s doable. So,

1. Do you know if it’s been done by any users in the community?
  2. My understanding is that if we build your kernel with Android, install a 2nd stage bootloader after your bootloader, then we can loading the android system images. This has to be done carefully, so just wonder if you have any advice on it, even if it’s just from a 3rd party developers.
    Thanks.

Looks like to port Android, we need the amount of work similar to https://github.com/NVIDIA/android-platform-vendor-nvidia-build
Do you have plans to port Android into TX2? And any plans to upgrade to Android O from L in TK1?
Thanks.

Sorry, the answer is “No”, that’s not in current plan.

Thanks

Looks like being polite isn’t either.

OP…have you considered trying to use the Shield TV Pro Android Image? Its built for Maxwell, but, between that, the link you posted, and the various opensource android projects it shouldn’t be too hard to put together a good image. Not ideal, but better than “No.”

Hi, I’m gonna revive this thread here. Why will Nvidia not do an Android OS? It’s extremely powerful, and helpful to the end user beyond the scope of Ubuntu. Also, debian would be helpful as well. Depending what the end user wishes to do, Ubuntu can be difficult.