Power Cycle Reset Issue

Hello, I am using the Jetson nano to control an autonomous submarine for a school competition. However, I’m having an electrical problem. We are using the 5v and GND jumper (https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2019/04/10/jetson-nano-use-more-power/) to power the board from a LiPo battery going through a buck converter to step it down to 5v. When we unplug the battery and plug it back in (or switch out the batteries) the jetson doesn’t immediately come back on. To turn the jetson on, we have to unplug the individual jumper to either the 5v or GND pin and plug it back in. When we do that, it starts right back up.

Any idea why this would be happening?
Thanks

I recently had a power outage, and when power came back, the Nano didn’t re-power-on. I tried both USB and 5V GPIO rail.
When I removed power from all sources for a minute, and then re-connected, it started up again.
My guess is that there are capacitors on the board that need to discharge sufficienty for the board to re-power-on after a power off event.
It may be possible to make this happen faster by shorting the 5V and GND pins with a 47 Ohm resistor for a few seconds – I haven’t tried that, and there may be diodes or transistors on the way that makes that not work, but it’s worth trying.

Hm, the problem with that for me is that if I have to physically attach some resistor between the pins while the power’s off, then that doesn’t really help me. I could just as easily disconnect and reconnect the 5v or GND pinto reset it.

Basically what we want is a way to only unplug the batter from it’s harness, and plug a new one in, then have the Jetson power up. We have a large tube that covers our electronics (but not the batteries) for the sub, and it’s not terribly convenient to take it on and off.

I imagine your options are either to wait longer between unplugging and re-plugging, or build some kind of hot-plug option.
You might be able to keep a power adapter connected in parallel with the battery, then unplug the battery, then re-plug a new battery?

I am having the same issue with a drone project, after any power interruption or even a reboot cycle the Jetson Nano won’t come back online. Has to be physically disconnected from power for a few seconds in order to power back on again.

This Nano Development Kit is completely half baked, never should have been released without any kind of testing.

Hi, there are some capacitors on board which need time to discharge and so make auto power on enabled again. That is normal design, if you have special request on timing of unplug to plug in to power on system, you might need to design dedicated discharge circuit for that.