Power monitoring?

Hello,

How do I monitor continuous power consumption with the help of an external power monitor for TX1 module (mainly CPU and GPU individually). I have an external power monitor (from National instruments NI cDAQ 9174) at my disposal and I would like to get the transient profile of the power consumption of TX1 module. I have read that I should do that from the carrier board. But, it is not clear from where/which points? That is I am not sure how to tap and monitor the discrete power management unit (PMU) from Maxim.

Thank you for your time.

Hi solidrepellent,

Newer revisions of the TX1 module enable the use of INA power monitors, see [url]Jetson TX1 - INA226 (Power Monitor with i2C Interface) - Jetson TX1 - NVIDIA Developer Forums

Thanks

Hi Kayccc,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen that post and made a subsequent post to that in the same thread which went unanswered. So, I will ask here again.

I would like to monitor current, voltage, power and temperature of Nvidia Jetson TX1 module (not the carrier board). For the carrier board I can do that now. From the link below

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/950341/jetson-tx1/jetson-tx1-ina226-power-monitor-with-i2c-interface-/post/4998393/#4998393

The module whose revision is 300 or higher has INA monitors. When I run i2cdump I get the following.

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ sudo i2cdump -y -r 0x14-0x26 2 0x50 b
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f 0123456789abcdef
10: 36 39 39 2d 38 32 31 38 30 2d 31 30 699-82180-10
20: 30 30 2d 31 30 30 20 00-100

That means, I have revision 100 module. I have ordered TX1 on September 27th 2016 and I received it on 3rd of October. Considering the date of this post by @ctichenor (https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/950341/jetson-tx1/jetson-tx1-ina226-power-monitor-with-i2c-interface-/post/4998393/#4998393) I assumed that I should receive the latest and greatest from Nvidia. But, it seems I got an older version. If yes, then is there any possibility for me to exchange it for a new one. It is very important for me to have INA monitors on board the module for my research. Otherwise, it will not be possible to go ahead with my work.

1. Assuming I do not have the newest revision of TX1 module, how should I go about the collection of power data with the help of an external power monitor like NI cDAQ 9174. This post was about that. Please refer to my question above.

Thanks

For second question: 2) Assuming I do not have the newest revision of TX1 module, how should I go about the collection of power data with the help of an external power monitor like NI cDAQ 9174. This post was about that. Please refer to my question above.

Are you requesting the total power data of CVM? If so, you can do some rework on carrier board for it, such as remove LB12, LB13 and LB14, then connect your power monitor in series to it to measure the current of VDD_MOD (this is the power input to CVM).

For the time being, I am trying to understand the platform and its limitations via-a-vis my work.

I have gone through the schematics. According to my rudimentary understanding of electronics, VDD_MOD is at 19V. So, the voltage conversion with buck converters for the processor and gpu happens on the module right? Since, the schematics are not available for that, I cannot access those power rails right?

Regarding the total power data for CVM: I have attached the picture of a part of the board. I have marked what I assume are LB12, LB13 and LB14. Am I right? Where is R264 resistor then? It is in parallel with LB13 in the schematics. But, I cannot find it on the board.

Also, is it necessary to remove all three BEADS LB12, LB13 and LB14? Can’t I just remove one of it and connect the power monitor in series? What would happen in that case? I understand that beads are used to smooth the power signal from high frequency components.

Thank you very much for your time.

Yes, per your picture, that are LB12, LB13, LB14, need to remove them all and connect power monitor in series to measure current. No R264 on board.

Thankyou @Trumany. Could you please elaborate a bit as to why all three Beads (LB12, LB13, LB14) had to be removed? I just want to understand what happens behind. Thanks once again.

Beads are for AC filter, they are equal to 0ohm in DC, so need to remove all of them, otherwise the power monitor in series will be bypass.