Power supply considerations for Jetson Nano Developer Kit

Do you have any electronics stores with Raspberry Pis? In the US, we have Microcenter (less common) and Best Buy (more common), and both stock RPi4 power supplies in the store (though check online, first, if the store closest to you is still far away).

thanks @jeremyshaw1 I got a pi4 one on the way 5.1v 3A hope that is enough.

I think underpowering it has already corrupted the sd card ones or maybe it was because of the swap memory ruining the sdcard.

2gb one might not be good option because the image is stored in sdcard.

Hopefully new power supply can let me run the nano at its max power and I think that should let the webcam run at faster fps.

1 Like

what will happen when power supply is given via barrel jack in jetson nano? Is there any LED indications?..please let me know

Hi Kosmon, today I’ve received this one. It’s Ok for Nano barrel plug: DC power for Jetson Nano

This power supply problem is unbearable. I am using a 4GB nano B01 revision board. Even when using the barrel jack to supply power and trying to run the simplest of examples from the DLI course, the system is throttled and becomes unusable… Not sure how any one can reliably use this board out of the box… I will have to try adding a fan, move all peripherals to a powered usb hub and then use a barrel jack…

I use the Mean Well GSM25B05-P1J. It is a medical grade power supply and has a very clean output. TRC Electronics, Inc. is where I purchased this item. You can find it at other dealers. It has the real power to back up changes in current. Since power supplys can be very noisy it can interfere with many boards. When current does and will change noise can and does go up. So get you a bitch’en power supply right off the bat.

My original power supply was a freaken joke from Adafruity Loops. Wow its output cord now serves on my hacked headlamp running a fat LiFePo4.

Hello nanoers.

I’ve just bought and I’m using this adapter :

“Aukru Micro USB 5V 3000 mA caricatore adattatore alimentazione per Raspberry Pi 3 modello B+ Plus/ Pi 3, Pi 2 Modello B+ Plus , Banana Pi”

I suspect that this power supply is not giving the proper power to the board. Infact very often I see a lot of various errors,related to the usb devices failed and to the sd card sector errors (for example : “mmcblk0p1 last error time ext4 wait block bitmap”. If I move only a little bit the board,immediately I see a lot of bad crc data errors and it reboots. I would like to know if the errors that I get are caused by that and if I can fix them using this new power supply :

“GeeekPi DC 5V 4A Alimentatore con EU&UK&US Spina per Raspberry Pi X820/X825 SATA Expansion Board/ X700 ups/ X720/ X735 Power Management Board/Jetson N”

I’ve already bought it,but I’m not still using it. First of all I want to be sure that the problem is the insufficient voltage that it gets. thanks.

I’ve tried different power supplys. I always get:

[15161.475786] soctherm: OC ALARM 0x00000001

I measured the Voltage its 5.04 (Anker PowerHub 60W) or 5.21 (Lenovo Tablet Charger). Ordered the Offical Raspberry 3A Micro-USB now.

Any hints regarding this issue?

The best way to make sure power supply is good is to load fully both GPU and CPU, plug in all USB devices you plan to use, and then run:

sudo cat /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/ina3221x/6-0040/iio:device0/in_voltage0_input

It will show real input voltage in mV. It may be good idea to run it multiple times to get average reading. Measuring input voltage manually may be error prone, for example I can measure at 4.9V directly at power jack but the board actually might be getting less than 4.75V. If you trying to use MicroUSB then voltage drop may be even higher under load.

1 Like

Interessting. The output directly after the powersupply shows 5.06 the device, the command displays 4.520. Its a 10cm USB Cable. So where is the voltage drop/loss? What can other powersupplys do better? The output directly after the powersupply actually matches the requirement.

Second question, any experience with the 5V/4A barrel powersupply of waveshare? (claimed to be for the jetson nano).

I guess any power supply is good as long as it can deliver 4A without losing too much voltage at its output and provides 5.25V (as far as I know, commercial power supplies intended to be used for Jetson Nano never provide more than 5.20-5.25V at their output for safety reasons). 5.1V may be good too if you do not plan to go far beyond 10W but for me with power consumption of almost 20W this turned out to be not enough, I had to increase input voltage: my experience with “barrel” power supply is that I needed 5.35V at the power supply output to get 5.22V-5.25V at in_voltage0_input without CPU/GPU load and without USB devices connected and to keep it above 4.75V under heavy load (in my case 18W or almost 4A).

My experience with MicroUSB power - it is only good for 5W mode even with short cable and high quality power supply capable of sustaining 5.1V under load at its output.

Another option is to power directly via the 40-pin header, but this will bypass all protection (so voltage drop under load will be less) and may damage Jetson Nano if power supply is not very good, or voltage drop may become even worse if using cheap thin wires or bad connectors.

1 Like

Bought the Waveshare 5V/4A Barrel Supply. It does work like a charm. Stable voltage of >4.9V during high system load.

However I do get this error on high system load (9-10W):
[ 1276.395026] pcieport 0000:00:01.0: AER: Corrected error received: id=0010
[ 1276.395037] pcieport 0000:00:01.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, id=0008(Receiver ID)
[ 1276.405370] pcieport 0000:00:01.0: device [10de:0fae] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
[ 1276.413848] pcieport 0000:00:01.0: [ 0] Receiver Error (First)

Did you measure output voltage of the power supply or voltage input of Jetson Nano by running sudo cat /sys/bus/i2c/drivers/ina3221x/6-0040/iio:device0/in_voltage0_input? Because if your power supply voltage actually drops to 4.9V there is a good change that the input voltage will drop below 4.75V. With high quality power supply capable of delivering 2A, input voltage should remain above 4.75V while Jetson Nano consumes 10W. If you did measure the input voltage by running the command and it is above 4.75V then most likely your issue is not caused by low voltage.

Therefore the error you are seeing may not be caused by low voltage. I think I saw similar errors in the past on my Jetson Nano, even though they are marked as “corrected” and should be harmless, they annoyed me. In my case they were caused by PCIEASPM_POWERSAVE being enabled. For some reason these errors can happen even if nothing is installed in PCI-E M.2 slot, and they continued to happen after adding a WiFi/Bluetooth card. I made the following changes before building the kernel:

--- a/kernel/kernel-4.9/arch/arm64/configs/tegra_defconfig
+++ b/kernel/kernel-4.9/arch/arm64/configs/tegra_defconfig
@@ -47,7 +47,8 @@ CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
 CONFIG_ARCH_TEGRA=y
 CONFIG_PCI=y
 CONFIG_PCIEPORTBUS=y
-CONFIG_PCIEASPM_POWERSAVE=y
+CONFIG_PCIEASPM_POWERSAVE=n
+CONFIG_PCIEASPM_PERFORMANCE=y
 CONFIG_PCI_STUB=m
 CONFIG_PCI_IOV=y
 CONFIG_PCIE_TEGRA=y

I did not see these errors after this.

Disabling PCIe ASPM is also possible without recompiling the kernel by running:

echo performance | sudo tee /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy

If it helps, keep in mind that this command have no permanent effect, and after reboot you need to run it again. Recompiling the kernel with the patch above will have permanent effect.

I was first confused because the default power configuration seems to have changed between revisions A01 and B01. Most instructions are for A01, which doesn’t include the J48 jumper out of the box. However, on my B01 board the jumper was already attached when I bought the device as new.

On the B01 revision, the jumper J48 must be removed by default in order to use micro USB power. I didn’t see this being explicitly mentioned here before.

Hi! I downloaded twice to sd card. but screen stops at the full screen nvidia logo. i m using 2gb, usb C 5v 2A

what can be the problem? thanks

Read this thread, 2A current is very likely too low

now I changed 10A usb port
still only full screen logo

Maybe your SD card was not flashed correctly. I suggest to discuss this in another thread as this one here is about power supplies…

Can I power my jetson nano with phone charger? the charger is a ‘VOOC flash charger’ who got 5V/4A. Iam just worried because I don’t want to damage my jetson.