Power supply considerations for Jetson Nano Developer Kit

I just bought this one to power the Jetson Nano seems to be ok so far. Just joined and just powered it up for the first time. Is there anyway to test it?

[url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-DC-IEC-Power-Adapter/dp/B01KNDIRYO/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=lindy+4a+5v&qid=1556564224&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull[/url]

You will also need a lead like this [url]https://www.amazon.co.uk/3m-Kettle-Lead-Coloured-S-T-Black/dp/B00481DRC0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=kettle+lead&qid=1556564300&s=gateway&sr=8-3[/url]

If you have an artificial load, yes:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07DHN98PY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just for completeness you can also use an USB multimeter to view this regarding voltage otput (of the USB port, not the barrel jack).

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07DGXP3C4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yo can also do with an artificial self-soldered load (1,25 Ohms, 20W+) and a multimeter. :)

Is there no Software method? Run something to max it out?

Max should be around 10W. The supply can do double that. There are software tests, I have seen some while browsing.

I assume that everybody seen the well labelled USB-C stamp on the PCB!
Can we have some information to why this was not implemented?
The answer can be to be RPI compatible and that will be hilarious because enabling SPI is so difficult! (And I still did not manage to do it)

I was thinking to buy a USB-C and solder it (of course removing the micro-USB). I will check tomorrow (because my nano is at the office :( ) to see how the USB-C connections end on board.

In theory, the USB-C have 2-lanes of up to 2A (limited from NVIDIA board?) and that can give 4A.

Why? Because finding a barrel power supply is difficult especially in small robots! A USB-C to USB-C powerbank is convenient, if we can supply up to 4A on the USB-C.

Edited: The question is if we can straight forward solder a USB-C or if we have to add resistors/capacitors?

I am using a barrel to USB cable which so far works well with the higher amperage USB chargers. Currently stable with 2.5A Innergie charger and also used with Anker PowerPort Atom USB C successfully (using adapter). This should satisfy your usage of a USB Powerbank (as long as it supplies enough amperage). There are many of these cables on Amazon… just make sure it is using thicker gauge wires.

Example: https://www.osepp.com/accessories/cables/34-usb-barrel-jack-adapter

Thank you for the quick reply.
In general, powerbanks limit their power to 2.1-2.4A for USB ports but they have higher limits for USB-C.
As I said, we would like to use this board as portable as possible and I think a USB-C can provide the required power if NVIDIA made the connections correctly.

My question also goes back to why use micro-usb when they made the holes and the pads for USB-C…

Hi chriskoups, it is Micro USB because TX1 chip uses Micro USB for flashing port. Please use the DC barrel jack or J41 expansion header if you need to supply more current.

It may be possible that in the future, an ecosystem partner may design an aftermarket carrier board with support for USB-C Power Delivery using additional circuitry besides the Micro USB flashing port, however the devkit reference design uses the Micro USB port for flashing and power. For example, the custom AntMicro Nano Baseboard carrier appears to feature USB-C.

Hi
I used a 5V 5A Power Adapter with barrel jack and the hdmi output is blank, screen not loading bu the fans are spinning any ideas please let me know

Thanks

Can you elaborate a bit more on the relationship with the TX1? We know that Nano is the half of TX1. Is it any other differences?
The USB-C is reversible to USB2.0 so in theory with a USB-C to USB2 we can flash the device.

Checking the pads, seems that the connection is 1:1 with the micro USB.
https://imgur.com/a/pPeqNoK

The differences are on the power delivery protocol. Micro-USB can have up to 2A on 5V and USB-C up to 3A on 5V.
A USB to DC barrel is limited to the 2A of the USB protocol and as far as I know there is no USB-C to barrel.
You can suggest to take a USB-C and strip it to connect it to the J41 but that is not elegant for daily use.

Electronically, taking of micro-usb and connecting a new USB-C port will create any problems? We do not have the board diagram to double check.

More specifically, it has half of the number of GPU cores. Otherwise the chip is mostly the same. The frequencies it runs at have been tweaked for Nano. TX1 needs Micro USB 2.0 for the flashing port. Latest Tegra chips like Xavier use USB-C, so maybe a future version of Nano devkit could use USB-C.

I got the Nano about a week ago. I initially was connected via micro usb for power, and bumped up to this with jumper and DC barrel jack along with jumper cable: https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Regulator-Adjustable-Converter-Transformer/dp/B017SM1O98/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=drok+up+down+converter&qid=1556655967&s=gateway&sr=8-10

After a few days with zero problems on dc barrel jack, I switched from a 12v source connected to the up/down voltage regulator (capable of 5 amps), to a 14v lipo connected to the regulator. regulator is set for 5.2v output (this was last night), and I’m on a robotics team at cal state fullerton, we’ve been using these DROK power supplies on the tx2 for months and months with zero issues with power from lipo → DROK regulator → tx2 (we set the regulator to 19v for the tx2, just to clearify that I’m not pumping 19v into the nano).

The 5.2v up/down voltage regulator (as of this morning) is connected and the nano is giving me ONLY a green led. I powered down, pulled the sd card, and I’m only getting sys logs from yesterday. Basically I seem to have a dead nano, but I’m not sure. I have ordered another power supply (though I’m 90% sure that’s not the issue here). I connected micro usb, and only get green led from that as well.

With the 5v dc barrel jack power, with jumper, and solid green led, and no boot, should I get voltage from the 5v header pins? I’m reading nothing from the header pins.

My case number is: 190430-000474

I should be getting another power supply on the 1st of May, and I’ll report back, but considering I’ve been using this DROK supply for a week with absolutely no issues tells me that something else might going on.

I really hope it’s the nano, and not the power supply, since we need to be able to power this on battery running tensorflow. We can’t tether the nano to a wall socket while connected to a rover, so if it IS the power supply, are there any suggestions for off the shelf dc to dc voltage regulators that anyone can suggest in the meantime?

Proof of the DROK power supply running perfectly fine as of a few days ago:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwxyOPTheUq/

Update: I’m reading 5 volts on the fan pins, no voltage on the header pins, still no boot.

Are you sure your microSD card didn’t get corrupted? In this case you would see the green light, but no boot.

First sd card I was using was a 64gb class 10 xc, micro center.
Today I flashed a completely separate sd card (16gb class 10 hc, micro center) 3 different times.

16gb on linux mint, using USB image writer, same power problem (though i had this issue last week with image writer)
16gb on linux mint, using etcher, same power problem
16gb on windows, using etcher, same power problem (though this was successful last week)
trying again on windows right now with the same 16gb, though I’m not hopeful it’s going to make a difference.

All 3 times:
Fan has power,
Header pins, no power,
Usb, no power,
green led, on.

I just ordered another 64gb class 10 xc:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q7YQWPB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

any other suggestions?

@audstanley

You might try a mainstream sd card like Samsung Evo Plus. I’ve been having good luck with it.

Second the Samsung Evo Plus. Had excellent performance on both Raspberry Pi and Nano.

Did you check if is possible to ping the nano or even ssh it. If no for both cases, you can try to connect a TTL Serial USB converter (PL2303HX) to check if there is any trace of info coming from serial console. This cable is pretty easy to find and you can check how to use it here: [url]JetsonNano - Serial Console - YouTube

If you already tried to check serial console, did you get something?

You guys rock, but I still got nothin.

I ordered two of those sd cards Evo Pro Plus sd cards. Lucky me, i’ve got a cp2102 usb stick in the desk… but minicom is giving me nothin’ I’m 100% certain I’m attached to the correct device, baud rate and stop bits look good.

External Media

So I’m guessing you guys are going to tell me it’s definitely the sd card, if i am getting zero serial output?

…or does the board output over serial before launching off the sd card?

Note: this is the output while DC barrel is attached, and i just tried micro usb as well, same results.

also:
Tx → Rx
Rx → Tx
gnd → gnd