Problem with liblapack.a

Hello,

I am running ubuntu 7.04 and PGI workstation 7.1.1.

I was trying to compile a program of mine and it kept raising an error about an undefined reference in liblapack (unfortunately, this was a while ago and I don’t have the exact error message written down). On a separate machine I had installed the pgi demo and it didn’t have this issue. Thinking I was clever I copied liblapack.a from that machine over to my current system. Everything worked well until I attempted to execute my program and was told that my program had been compiled using the trial edition and that the trial expired. The only trial piece that has ever been on this system is lapack, is that enough to taint the whole apparatus? If I can get liblapack.a from elsewhere and overwrite the old file will this make this issue go away or have I ‘trialized’ my system?

So much for being clever.

Thanks,
Ryan

As a follow up to this. I downloaded lapack3 from the lapack website and built the lapack library (using g77, which is their preferred default). I then copied it in the to the 7-1-1 lib folder and removed the trial versions. I destroyed my program and re compiled it, still errors with ‘trial version’.

Any ideas? Is there a way to have pgi tell me which piece of code is a trial version and is causing the headache?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

You will need to remove all object files and recompile everything with permanent license.

Hongyon

Before I take the step of rebuilding everything from scratch (for my project it is a huge task) I want to clarify something.

I have experimented some more with my install and I wanted to ask a question about the license.dat file. I purchased my license and installed 7.1-1 on my computer in October. This past week I tried to compile my model and received the aforementioned trial error. I looked at my license online and it was different than what I had in license.dat. Now, my memory is faulty here, but when one buys a new compiler, are we given a “temporary” permanent key while our new permanent key is generated? I could have sworn I copied the key off the web site and put it into license.dat. But if I did, why would they now be different? Any insights?

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I am not why the license you created online is different from the one you have it in your install directory.

Assume you are the only you install a compiler:
My guess is that you created trial license and put it in license.dat and perhaps didn’t replace the content of license.dat with permanent license.

You don’t need to get a trial license if you are ready to buy a permanent license. The trial license is for those who want to try the compilers first before making a decision.

• A permanent license: If you compile everything with this permanent license, then you don’t need to recompile object files at all.

• A trial license: If you compile your program with trial license, you have to remove all object files and recompile everything again with permanent license.

Hongyon