Problem with vulkaninfo under Wayland and Driver 495.44

Greetings,

I develop for an Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop with an NVidia Quadro M1000M. Before, I was on X11 with driver version 470 and I could work without problems. On wayland, I suddenly got crashes in vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfaceFormatsKHR so I upgraded to 495.44.
Now vulkaninfo stopped working with
vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfacePresentModesKHR failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Hello @heideggm !

Could you share a bit more detail about the use case?

One thing that would cause this error message is if you create a VK_KHR_wayland_surface instance that is not supported by the physical device, in this case the Quadro GPU. If you have for some reason some additional vulkan driver on the system, like Mesa, this mismatch can occur.

Maybe this gives you a starting point?

Hello,

please see my other thread:

There are even problems with glxinfo and vulkaninfo.

I reported this in the vulkan forum vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfaceSupportKHR fails on wayland

Thanks @user258 for linking the issues.

I am in talks with our Vulkan experts to get more details on this, we will post updates here when we have soemthing to share.

Thank you.

vulkaninfo on Ubuntu 22.10 with driver 5.25.60.13 still fails under wayland:

WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : loader_icd_scan: Can not find ‘ICD’ object in ICD JSON file /usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_layers.json. Skipping ICD JSON
ERROR while creating surface for extension VK_KHR_wayland_surface : ./vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:237:vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfacePresentModesKHR failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
ERROR at ./vulkaninfo/vulkaninfo.h:1472:vkGetPhysicalDeviceSurfaceSupportKHR failed with ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

Also encountered this problem on 530.30.02.

This is a blocker for our product. We wanted to add support for Nvidia GPUs due to the faster video encoding performance. However, this bug means we are unable to run Vulkan programs within our custom Wayland compositor.

XWayland could have been a workaround. However, zero-copy is broken for Nvidia GPUs: Xwayland: invalid operation in nvidia gbm import (#1444) · Issues · xorg / xserver · GitLab