Hi, always when I trying to install nvidia driver on some linux distribution something is wrong.
More peoples have the same problem with installation this drivers, I think that installation is to difficult (when You read instruction all is simple but after installation it’s difficult to fix all problems brought by installation script).
Today I installed new 346.47 driver on OpenSuse 13.2. All was going well… I got message that driver was installed successfully, but after when I rebooted my computer only console mode is working, X-server is broken…
Advanced users knows how to fix this problem, but normal people who want to try some linux distribution don’t have any idea how to repair system after driver installation.
About year ago I had other problem (it still returning after driver installation) - wrong splash screen resolution or black screen without original splash screen. This problem is known but still not fixed.
Linux is good operating system, for gamers too, but how may be popular when it is that difficult to install graphics drivers properly ?
Linux drivers installation should be less conflicted, something like windows driver installation.
I think that will be good to add/fix:
- Add some script to driver package who will automatically disable/blacklist nouveau. (“Do you want to disable nouveau driver ? Yes/No”) I know that this is once of mains problems because nouveau is still working and getting conflicts with nvidia driver.
- Add a script to disable Kernel Mode Setting.
- Add a script who will check whether driver is working properly.
- Try to fix problems after diver update (sometimes old driver is not removed)
- Fix bad/ugly screen resolution after installing drivers - its very annoying
I used this tutorial: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way but system gone after installation. I did step by step.
Driver: 346.47 x86_64
Kernel 3.16 && 3.17
Please try to install latest nvidia drivers on this system, when I trying it always fails.
Best regards and many thanks for great job, I wish You a lot of success and great solutions with developing new drivers.