Problems for opening terminal and videos while controlling Jetson nano from remote desktop

HI,

I am encountering problems while I am controlling jetson nano from my laptop with a windows 10 remote desktop connection remotelly. I can access jetson nano from a remote desktop connection. However, when i am trying to open terminal or such video , the windows are opening in the host device (jetson nano) instead to be opened in my laptop

kindly looking for your support

Then what did you see on the laptop?

I can see the desktop for Jetson nano also I can open text or python scripts but when i am trying to open the terminal or video the window open in the monitor which is connected to jetson nano instead of my laptop

If you log in to the Jetson locally, and are using the monitor you wanted something to show up in, what do you see from “echo $DISPLAY”? Similarly, if you are accessing the virtual desktop, what do you see from “echo $DISPLAY”? They should differ, e.g., one might be “:0”, while the other might be “:10”. I’ll pretend “:0” is from the display which is local to the Jetson, and is the display you want some program to show up in. Then if the program happens to be “xterm”, you should notice this as logged in from the virtual desktop:

# This shows up in the virtual display:
xterm &
# This shows up in the other display:
DISPLAY=':0' xterm &
# This shows up back in the original virtual display:
DISPLAY=':10' xterm &

An alternative to prefixing “DISPLAY” to each command is to “export DISPLAY=...” (then use “':0'” or “':10'”, adjusted for your actual echo from that “$DISPLAY”).

An “export” sets the variable to that value from then on until something changes it. Prefixing a single command with the DISPLAY applies this to just the one command.

Hi

Yes that is true when i made “ echo $DISPLAY ” the result is 0 so meaning I have to set a variable in a terminal of jetson as export DISPLAY=10 to enable virtual desktop visualizing the terminal on my laptop?

Each desktop has its own unique “DISPLAY”. If you are running from that environment, then you can find out what it is via “echo $DISPLAY”. When you explicitly name a DISPLAY, then that is where the command will be directed. Don’t forget the colon, “:”, since this is part of the variable. For example, you would use “:0” and not “0”. The use of the “:10” is just a contrived example (which happens to often be used for virtual displays, but yours could differ). You have to be logged into, and using that display in order to detect what the “echo $DISPLAY” shows for that display.

Alternatively, there would be an Xorg log file for each display in “/var/log”. There will be extra compressed copies of old logs which you can ignore, but generally speaking the $DISPLAY will be the number in the middle if you list logs like this:
ls /var/log/Xorg.*.log

For example, if you see “Xorg.10.log”, then this would be the log for “export DISPLAY=:10”.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.