Problems with 185 driver for running CUDA 2.2 :(

Hi,

I realize that this might be not the best place to post it, but figured that some of you might have dealt with it already.
I was trying to install 185 driver to get the CUDA 2.2 going, but was unable to get it work.

My setup is Fedora 10, 64 bit. I have 2 GPUs in the system, a GTX 285 in the slot 2 and GT8400 in the slot 4 (to take on displaying tasks and have 285 solely for CUDA).
Right now I get the following errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
(EE) NVIDIA(0): system’s kernel log for additional error messages and
(EE) NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: “nvidia”
(II) UnloadModule: “wfb”
(II) UnloadModule: “fb”
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

In /var/log/messages these are the error messages:

kernel: NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 185.18.08, but
kernel: NVRM: this kernel module has the version 180.51. Please
kernel: NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
kernel: NVRM: components have the same version.

I checked the /var/log/nvidia-install.log and it seems that the new module was compiled with no errors.

Any help at all? I was digging Google with no success. This is really frustrating as my project came to a halt because of this and I need the 2.2 to resolve the bug that gives errors on memcpyToSymbol for double arrays…

Cheers.

It seems like you are still using 180.51.

Check the output of:
cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

Try to reinstall the driver.

Thanks for the reply. Indeed the version of the driver is still 180.51

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 180.51 Fri Apr 17 00:08:33 PDT 2009

GCC version: gcc version 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7) (GCC)

I tryed reinstalling the driver several times, but with the same result. Is there a way to completely clean up all nvidia drivers and modules and try to reinstall everything again?

Ok, now after doing “locate nvidia | xarg rm -rf” (and maybe pulling some hair out) installation works fine and the correct drivers load up. I think the problem arises when you install nvidia drivers with “yum kmod-nvidia”, then Nvidia’s driver installer doesn’t upgrade properly.

Cheers.