PVF 13.7 can't compile the same codes

Hi all,

The following code can be compiled with PVF 10.9 and 12.x (last year) but fails with 13.7.
The error messages are:

GPU_RainfallInt.cuf(42) : error S0155 : Illegal call from host code to device subprogram __pgi_get_last_error
GPU_RainfallInt.cuf(44) : error S0155 : Could not resolve generic procedure cudageterrorstring
GPU_RainfallInt.cuf(52) : error S0155 : Illegal call from host code to device subprogram __pgi_get_last_error
GPU_RainfallInt.cuf(54) : error S0155 : Could not resolve generic procedure cudageterrorstring
GPU_RainfallInt.cuf(61) : error S0155 : Illegal call from host code to device subprogram __pgi_get_last_error
GPU_RainfallInt.cuf(62) : error S0155 : Could not resolve generic procedure cudageterrorstring

Should I modify my codes?
Thanks in advance.

Feng

module GPU_OK_Scheme
use cudafor
use cudadevice
use IO_Parameter
implicit none
	real, device, allocatable :: dgx(:), dgy(:), sorain(:,:)
	real, constant :: sox(1000), soy(1000)
	real*8, device, allocatable :: d_inv_cov_matrix(:,:)
	real*8, device, allocatable :: d_grid_rain(:)

contains
!*********************************************************************************************************************
	subroutine OKgrid_rain2(prop, nobs, ntime, ngrid, var, integral, nugget, vmin, vmax, cov_vec)
	implicit none
		integer :: nobs, ntime, ngrid
		real*8 :: var, integral, nugget, vmin, vmax
		real*8 :: cov_vec(nobs+1, ngrid)
		integer::MaxBatchNdem, NBatchLoop, NBatch, NB
		type(dim3) :: dimGrid, dimBlock
		type(cudadeviceprop) :: prop
		real*8, device, allocatable :: d_lambda(:,:),d_Cdev(:,:)
		integer :: i, j, ss

MaxBatchNdem=9600

if( ngrid <= MaxBatchNdem )then
			NBatchLoop=1
		else
			NBatchLoop= ngrid/MaxBatchNdem + 1
		end if

allocate( d_lambda(MaxBatchNdem,Nobs+1) )
		allocate( d_Cdev(MaxBatchNdem,Nobs+1) )

do j=1, NBatchLoop		
			ss=(j-1)*MaxBatchNdem		
			NBatch= min( Ngrid, Ngrid-(j-1)*MaxBatchNdem, MaxBatchNdem)						

dimGrid = dim3( (NBatch-1)/16+1, (Nobs+1-1)/16+1,  1 )
			dimBlock = dim3( 16, 16, 1 )						
			call gpu_assign_B2_matrix<<<dimGrid, dimBlock,0,0>>>(d_lambda, nobs, NBatch, ss, ngrid, dgx, dgy, var, integral, nugget)
			i = cudaGetLastError()
			if (i .ne. 0)then
				print *, cudaGetErrorString(i)
				pause
			end if

dimGrid = dim3( (NBatch-1)/16+1, (Nobs+1-1)/16+1,  1 )
			dimBlock = dim3( 16, 16, 1 )						

call gpu_cal_coef<<< dimGrid, dimBlock,0,0>>>( d_lambda, d_inv_cov_matrix, d_Cdev, NBatch, Nobs+1, Nobs+1)
			i = cudaGetLastError()
			if (i .ne. 0)then
				print *, cudaGetErrorString(i)
				pause
			end if

dimGrid = dim3( NBatch/(prop%maxThreadsPerBlock/1)+1, 1, 1 )
			dimBlock = dim3( prop%maxThreadsPerBlock/1, 1, 1 )
			call gpu_cal_rain<<<dimGrid,dimBlock,0,0>>>(d_Cdev, sorain, Nobs, NBatch, ss, NHr, Ntime, vmin, vmax)
			i = cudaGetLastError()
			if (i .ne. 0) print *, cudaGetErrorString(i)		
		end do

deallocate( d_lambda)
		deallocate( d_Cdev )

end subroutine OKgrid_rain2

!*********************************************************************************************************************
	attributes(global) subroutine gpu_assign_B2_matrix(d_lambda, nobs, NBatch , ss, ngrid, dgx, dgy, var, integral, nugget )
	implicit none
		integer, value :: nobs, ngrid, NBatch, ss
		real*8, value :: var, integral, nugget		
		real*8, device :: d_lambda(NBatch,nobs+1), d
		real, device :: dgx(ngrid), dgy(ngrid)
		real*8, shared :: ssox(16), ssoy(16)
		integer, shared :: iby, ibx, ibid
		integer,device :: tx, ty, i, j

tx= threadidx%x
		ty= threadidx%y

if( tx==1 .and. ty==1 )then
			if( NBatch==nobs+1 )then
				iby=blockidx%x-1
				ibx=blockidx%x + blockidx%y-2
				if( ibx .ge. griddim%x) ibx=ibx-griddim%x
			else
				ibid=griddim%x*(blockidx%y-1)+blockidx%x -1
				iby=mod(ibid, griddim%y)
				ibx=mod(ibid/griddim%y+iby, griddim%x)
			end if
		end if
		call syncthreads()

i=tx+ ibx*blockdim%x
		j=ty+ iby*blockdim%x

if ( tx==1 .and. j<=nobs)then
			ssox(ty)=DBLE(sox(j))
			ssoy(ty)=DBLE(soy(j))
		end if
		call syncthreads()

if ( i <= nBatch .and. j<=nobs )then
			d = DSQRT( (DBLE(dgx(ss+i)) - ssox(ty))*(DBLE(dgx(ss+i)) -ssox(ty)) + &
			                    (DBLE(dgy(ss+i)) - ssoy(ty))*(DBLE(dgy(ss+i)) - ssoy(ty))      )
		    d_lambda(i,j) = var - ( nugget + (var-nugget)*(1.d0- exp(-1.d0*d/integral)) )

else if( i <= nBatch .and. j==nobs+1)then
            d_lambda(i,nobs+1) = 1.d0
		end if

end subroutine gpu_assign_B2_matrix

end module GPU_OK_Scheme

the module IO_Parameter is

MODULE IO_Parameter
    IMPLICIT NONE
    CHARACTER(LEN=200) :: DEM_FILE, VAL_FILE, OUT_FILE, DEM_FILE_TWD97
    CHARACTER(LEN=3) :: RAIN_FORM, VAL_TYPE
    CHARACTER(LEN=2) :: INTERP_METHOD 
    LOGICAL::FILE_Existed=.FALSE.    
    INTEGER :: Nval, Ndem, Nhr, dt, ncols, nrows, dem_cols, dem_rows
END MODULE IO_Parameter

Hi, all

I successfully compiled the codes with PVF 12.10 without any error.
However, I found the subroutine OKgrid_rain2 could be executed correctly just one time and the message “invalid arguments” occurred repeatedly while i was 2, 3, 4… in the loop.

do i=1, 72
  call OKgrid_rain2(...)
end do

My gpu is NVIDIA GTX 260. The error message occurred after launching kernel “gpu_assign_B2_matrix” with the function “cudaGetLastError” and “cudaGetErrorString”. Are there some bugs in my codes?

Thanks in advance.

Feng

Hi all,

Should I provide the whole code? Could anyone help me? Thank you very much.

Feng

Hi Feng,

For the first error, the problem is that you added “use cudadevice” and hence are getting the device definitions. This module should only be used in device routines. Actually, it gets used by default, so you don’t need to explicitly add it at all.

Try removing “use cudadevice” and recompiling with 13.7 to see if it takes care of your run time error.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Thank for your response. It works! The codes can be compiled successfully.
But the results were wrong! Furthermore, the second error “invalid arguments” occurred while calling the “subroutine OKgrid_rain2” again. The error was thrown out while launching the kernel “gpu_assign_B2_matrix”. I will try to figure out.

Feng

But the results were wrong! Furthermore, the second error “invalid arguments” occurred while calling the “subroutine OKgrid_rain2” again. The error was thrown out while launching the kernel “gpu_assign_B2_matrix”. I will try to figure out.

Ok, let us know if you need help.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

As usual, I checked the data uploaded to the GPU device. The following way which was correct in the PVF 10.9, however, is wrong in the PVF 13.7.

dgy(1:ndem)=DEMdata(1:ndem)%Y

The array “dgy” is the device variable and the one “DEMdata” is the host variable. Is the issue similar to the one which had been corrected in PVF 12.5 ?(http://www.pgroup.com/userforum/viewtopic.php?p=11577&highlight=#11577)

Feng

Hi Feng,

It’s possible that it’s related since the last issue had to do with some optimization of data transfers with added around then. Please send in a reproducing example.

Though, I’m wondering if you really want to do it this way. The “Y” members are not contiguous hence each Y would need to be copied to the device separately. You might want to consider coalescing Y on the host and then send it over in one contiguous block?

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Yap! You are right. It doesn’t make sense to expect the compiler automatically copying the whole non-contiguous data to the contiguous memory address on the device. I am modifying the code to coalesce Y on the host first. Thanks for your advice.

Feng