Quake 2 RTX crashes on 2060

After several minutes of running q2 rtx, GPU seems to crash with an XID 31. The exact fault messages seem to vary. Good news for me is that I can ssh and kill the process and the desktop comes back to normal.

Current driver: 430.26
Seemed to be the same with 418.56
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.09 MB)

Please check if this applies:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1056067/linux/virtualbox-freezes-my-system-when-on-nvidia-but-not-when-on-intel-hd/[/url]

It feels like it ran a little longer this way: yesterday 40 mins standing still, had to turn off.
Today I tried playing, so it lasted 15 mins and then crashed with a similar message. Attached.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.06 MB)

OK, something very weird is going on. DOOM (2016) crashes during the first 2 seconds of launching the game (vulkan version) with XID 13, while witcher 3 managed to run ~20 mins before crash (XID 13).
In all cases I had export __GL_MaxFramesAllowed=1.
Interestingly, XID 13 in these cases, while quake rtx was persistent with XID 31.
doom-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.04 MB)
witcher3-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.03 MB)

Now that could be anything.
kwin: did you try to lauch an X session with e.g. openbox and check if it still crashes?
driver: IIRC, the latest Vulkan beta 418.52.10 has some fixes not mainlined yet
hw: running cuda-memtest shouldn’t harm either.

Indeed, there seem to be three problems here: two of them is a conflict of kwin with nvidia, namely crashes in quake 2 rtx and crash in witcher 3. They are gone by using openbox.

On the other hand, doom crashes on the launch on openbox too. Most likely a vulkan extension bug.

Which kwin version are you running?
In the doom case, you can only test the current vulkan beta driver to see if this is a new bug or a fixed bug not mainlined yet.