Replace UEFI boot splash screen/logo (Jetpack 5.0.1 / R35.1)

Did you do this on the Xavier NX devkit or custom board?

What is “broke” meaning? Could you help to provide the serial console log?

I have my 16GB Xavier NX production module is mounted in a dev. kit carrier board:

The BSP and sample file system are extracted on a Dell OptiPlex 7050 running Ubuntu 20.04.

By “broke” is mean: initial black screen followed by a brief which screen, and then the normal boot console output. I.e. no UEFI-output or logo, as previously described. Please see the following videos:
With default “uefi_jetson.bin”:

With modified “uefi_jetson.bin”:

The UEFI-boot takes substantially longer when things are not right.

You as for serial console log. Does the UEFI create a log? If so, where can that be found? Or is there any other log that can be useful?

From this video, the behavior is expected for me. The original UEFI logo is the right one from 0:00 to 0:15 of your video.

We need to check the status with the modified uefi_jetson.bin.
The serial console log is the log output from UART.
You could refer to the following instruction to capture that.
Jetson Xavier NX Style - Serial Console

FWIW, I’ve had the same issue trying to customize the EFI/boot splash logo/screen.

Any attempt to change the bitmaps and build the EFI results in a blank/black screen EFI boot (instead of the Nvidia logo).

Using Xavier NX on a Leetop A205 carrier board.

Hi apocnz,

Do you have the devkit could reproduce the same issue?

Could your board boot up successfully at this moment?

Hi KevinFFF,

Please find attached the output from the serial console, for a “normal boot” (i.e. with the original bootloader bin-file) and with a “modified boot” (i.e. your custom bootloader bin-file).

minicom_modified_uefi_boot.cap (70.0 KB)
minicom_normal_uefi_boot.cap (67.6 KB)

I used “minicom” to log the bootup trace. There are many differences between the files, but I don’t know how to interpret the differences.

Please let me know, if there is more I can do to shed light on this problem.

What do you mean about “many differences”?

It seems both UEFI with debug messages disabled.
I’ve found the versions are different.

normal boot

Jetson UEFI firmware (version 1.0-d7fb19b built on 2022-08-10T20:18:13-07:00)

modified boot

Jetson UEFI firmware (version 202210.2-26fc186-dirty built on 2023-02-06T14:32:4

I compared the files using DiffMerge, and across the files, there are many unmatched lines. Not knowing what to look for, nor the importance of the different statements in the files, it appears to me there are “many differences”.

Regarding:

Can I/should I enable UEFI debugging, and redo the boot logging?

You can just use uefi_Jetson_DEBUG.bin, it should enable debug message of UEFI.

Could you boot up the board successfully with the uefi image built from Github and w/o any change?

Yes, boots fine, however the attempt at changing the splash logo/screen just results in a black/blank screen with EFI text/options. .

Hi apocnz,

Is there the original NVIDIA logo w/o any change in UEFI after you apply the custom build UEFI image?

Could you provide the detailed steps how you changing the logo in UEFI?

Please find attached MINICOM logfile when booting with debug info (uefi_jetson_DEBUG.bin).
minicom_modified_uefi_boot_debug.cap (132.8 KB)

Through all the various attempts, whether or not the splash screen has been shown, the Jetson eventually boot successfully. So the missing splash screen has no impact on successful booting.

Could you help updating to R35.2.1 and provide the .bmp files of different resolutions(480, 720, 1080) again?
I would try to verified again on the Xavier NX devkit.

In my last attempt, I did not make any changes to the UEFI-build-files downloaded from Github, thus the images were the original NVIDIA images. This also means that I didn’t make any changes to any other part of the image configuration.
I will try to update to R35.2.1 (and maybe even R35.3.1) and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your attempt.
Please remind to use corresponding UEFI codeline.

$ edkrepo clone nvidia-uefi NVIDIA-Jetson <combo>

Available branch could be found here.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.