Reproducible: NVRM: GPU at 0000:01:00.0 has fallen off the bus. -- Both screens black, Xorg at 100%

Just a shot in the dark…

I had similar backtraces and messages in the log, mostly this:
“[mi] EQ overflowing. Additional events will be discarded until existing events are processed.”

but my laptop’s GT240M “only” freeze at random (no black screen)

Since I’ve added this on xorg.conf

Option “RegistryDwords” “PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x3333; PowerMizerDefault=0x2; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x2”

…Not a single problem.

I’m on a desktop but i’ll give that a try, thanks

I am having similar issues [url][331.20 & earlier] Geforce 9600M GS causes black screen/hang when powermizer reaches level 0 - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums. Could you guys confirm that this happens due to powermizer is enabled (nvidia-settings) and set to adaptive?

For me when I hit powermizer level 0 the system goes black and freezes, the card falls of the bus and nothing can be done anymore.

Easiest way to check this is to open nvidia-settings after boot, and watch the powermizer window. If it is set to adaptive it slowly moves from highest powermizer level to level 0. Try to see if you can reach level 0 without a hang. If it hangs and never reaches level 0 but stops at level 1 and then crashes when it should move to 0, then it’s very probably powermizer issues.

The workaround is to set powermizer level to max performance, but this will be a problem for laptop users not connected to power.

Hello I’m zeppix and have the same problem:
… GPU has fallen off the bus …

I have 2 absolutly identical Dell Precision M6500 laptops (12 GB-RAM, Nvidia NB10E-GLM Quadro fx2800m and Intel Core i7 820QM @ 1.73 GHz and so on).
I’m operating with exactly the same hardware at both laptops and exactly the same drivers:
First laptop name is TIM:

• Working fine at Windows 7 and Fedora20 and Fedora22 with NVidia-Drivers Linux-x86_64_340.93 with GNOME

Second laptop name is TOM:

• Working fine at the beginning time at Windows 7 and Fedora20 and Fedora22 with NVidia-Drivers Linux-x86_64_340.93 with GNOME

• After few minute or a little bit graphical operations sometimes the black screen is comming and nothing works at fedora20 or fedora22 or Win7:

• No ttyX,
    • Only logging in by ssh is possible, but at ssh-session the reboot cannot be done!
  • At this Laptop I’ve got an electrical fault of USB3.0- and Firewire-Adapter card. After I replaced that card by a refurbished card, everything is OK with USB3.0-ports and Firewire-Port. Only the keyboard illumination does not work.

• I’m convinced, that I have to replace at minimum the motherboard, because this failure ‘GPU has fallen off the bus’ is an electrical problem of signal integrity, which is caused of bad electrical powering of motherboard, bad sourcing of DC-voltage if current is driven.
    In my opinion the root problem seems to be the power supply of NVIDIA-Graphic-Card from motherboard.

• I’ll report my experience, after I replaced the motherboard of TOM (2. Laptop).

Regards zeppix

Go bug Dell and have them replace the gpu. My M6800 shipped with a broken Quadro (visible vertical
lines with wrong colors when it was driving the panel [optmimus disabled]), and “fallen of the bus” messages. After sending screenshots to their support and bugging them a bit, they sent a technician out who replaced both baseboard and the quadro.
Since then I haven’t had any problems with the Quadro (but now one of the usb ports is broken, time to call the technician again :) )