Request: Compile Vulkan supports in FreeBSD/Solaris version of the driver

FreeBSD and Solaris version of the driver only supports OpenGL (in GLX or EGL) currently. Since graphics/vulkan-loader became official in FreeBSD ports, MESA drivers in FreeBSD ports are already built with Vulkan supports. For nVidia users in order to run Vulkan-related stuff we rely on https://github.com/shkhln/nvshim which acts as a (potentially unsafe) shim of the Linux version of Vulkan ICD. Is there any chance to gain support of Vulkan for FreeBSD and Solaris? Is there any crucial part missing in order to support Vulkan?

2 Likes

potentially unsafe

Just to clarify, while the technique itself is unsafe in general, this particular use case fits within its limitations.

I do actually encounter a segfault in glGetError() when using this with epoxy, just that I did not take much time to dig into the issue as I was only using OpenGL solely and I do not need Vulkan at that time. In that sense I actually have to mention that it is potentially unsafe to do so anyway, and whether it really “fits within its limitation” is another problem. But the long term solution I believe is still for Nvidia to flip on the Vulkan support on FreeBSD/Solaris.

a segfault in glGetError() when using this with epoxy

Would you mind submitting an issue?

In that sense I actually have to mention that it is potentially unsafe to do so anyway

Why this subject always has to devolve into “emulation is immoral and wrong”-style arguments? It’s just a bug, get over it.

I did not mean to let the subject be devolved into such argument. If emulation is proven to be safe in the sense that it is documented of what is undergoing on the host and especially the platform being emulated then I would not hesitate with some hedging.

EDIT: The stressing part would be the emulated platform actually

I would also welcome Vulkan support. I am switching new systems to AMD-based graphics cards but still have one NVidia-based system left.

Another person here needing Vulkan support for FreeBSD…