Request for Display Stream Compression (DSC) support in the linux drivers

Hi, this is a request to the Nvidia developers to enable DSC for linux so that we can use higher resolutions and framerates like 8k60. I’m happy to test beta drivers, as I have an 8k60 setup that works in Windows, but not in Linux.

7 Likes

Hell yes. Linux users are not second-class citizens in 2022!

2 Likes

Please…

1 Like

I’m hoping to test the new open source drivers this weekend to see if there’s been any change…

1 Like

I passed on a link this post to our Linux PM.
If we have this coming I would not be surprised if someone contacts you about testing it out - I don’t know anyone else with an 8K60 display.

3 Likes

I would love to test it as well since I have 5120x1440 240Hz Display, currently can only run at 120Hz which is devastating

1 Like

it should be noted that owners of the samsung odyssey g9 (5kx2k@240) are also viable test subjects since that monitor also requires DSC in order to be fully utilized in linux. It is not an 8k60hz resolution exclusive issue. Other resolutions can also mimic the issue as long as it oversaturates the bandwidth limit of hdmi2.1, although these 2 are probably the most commonly complained about recently…

2 Likes

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 user here. I can also test for 5120x1440 with 240hz.

2 Likes

I have odyssey g9 and can also provide some testing. Please, free me from windows.

2 Likes

We need to be free from Windows as soon as possible, I am getting tired of it

1 Like

There are lots of people with an 8K 60 display, me included. There’s a thread about it at 8K60 output with RTX 3070 and Samsung Q900TS over HDMI 2.1. I purchased my Samsung QN800A for use with my RTX 3090 over a year ago with the intention of using 8K 60 Hz on Linux and it is still not working.

3 Likes

Samsung Odyssey G9 user here, would like to throw my hat in to test any DSC enabled drivers if you need it.

1 Like

I’m on the Samsung Odyssey G8, also would be willing to text DSC drivers should there be an option to do so!

Odysssey G9 here, willing to test DSC in 240Hz.

Odyssey Neo G9 User here, would also be willing to test DSC drivers!

Odysssey G9 here, willing to test DSC in 240Hz.

Here on driver version 520.56.06 with my RTX 3090 on Linux kernel 6.0.1, there is still no DSC! With 7680 x 4320 resolution, still only 30 Hz is available.

Can we get some ETA on when 8K 60 Hz will be available, especially as it has been a widely advertised feature for a couple of years now?

2 Likes

Same here! Have an 8k TV, disappointed to see 60Hz is limited to Windows.

1 Like

This seems like a widely requested feature. There are also a few other threads with lots of views asking for the same:

they don’t care about us