Restoring linked library (libnetpbm.so.10 libnetpbm.so)

As I was attempting to get curl to work with ssl I erased the libnetpbm files from /usr/lib. My problem now, is that when booting it only takes me to login. Once credentials are input the screen does not load. I assume this is because of my ignorance (erasing libnetpbm.so.10 and libnetpbm.so)

What would be the best alternative to fixing this?

Update: I attempted to do a force recover, the USB can be found by my VM env. However, I don’t have any option to press ‘Enter’ on the host. I simply just get a black screen.

I’m not 100% sure, but I suppose this is provided by package libnetpbm10:

sudo apt search libnetpbm
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
libnetpbm10/xenial,now 2:10.0-15.3 arm64 [installed,automatic]
  Graphics conversion tools shared libraries

libnetpbm10-dev/xenial 2:10.0-15.3 arm64
  Graphics conversion tools development libraries and header files

libnetpbm9/xenial 2:10.0-15.3 arm64
  Shared libraries for netpbm (v9)

libnetpbm9-dev/xenial 2:10.0-15.3 arm64
  Development libraries and header files (v9)

So you may try to force reinstall of this package :

sudo apt-get --reinstall install libnetpbm10

Ok, I managed to get a terminal at nvidia@tegra-ubuntu by pressing Ctl + Alt + F1. The apt-get command you suggested is giving me an error.

E: Temporary failure resolving 'ports.ubuntu.com'

If you have ethernet connected to your TX2 with internet access, then it may be worse than expected and you may have to reflash a clean system.

For internet access, could you check:

ping ports.ubuntu.com

If it fails could you check with direct IP instead of name (I got this one now, but better checking with the command above from another machine having internet on your network)

ping 91.189.88.150

if it also fails, check if you have interfaces up with:

ifconfig

You might be able to use that address from the ping via:

<s>sudo echo '91.189.88.150' >> /etc/hosts</s>
sudo echo '91.189.88.150 ports.ubuntu.com' >> /etc/hosts

…then try the apt-get stuff again (your DNS is failing…the hosts file can manually put a placeholder in for that address).

Hi Linuxdev,

I suppose you meant:

sudo echo '91.189.88.150 ports.ubuntu.com' >> /etc/hosts

Yes…my brain missed adding the actual ports.ubuntu.com to that…it wouldn’t work without that.

Thanks, the command returns

/etc/hosts: Permission denied

It was brought to my attention that my system may be compromised. I was going to clone the rootfs and mount it on loopback but the bootloader does not exist in /opt directory. FYI, I have not flashed the system at any time.

Did you use sudo? Root owns that file, appending to it with “>>” requires sudo, although any one can read the file (“cat /etc/hosts”).