Revit CPU sizing

I select a server for tasks revits and autocad.
I need to ensure the work of 16 users in the revit and in the autocad.
At the moment I already have 2 servers with users working on it.
I use vSphere 6.0, ESXi 6.0U3, Horizon 7.1.
I noticed that the processor frequency has a very important role in the performance of the revit. In particular, in creating and working with models and rendering.
Also, when planning virtual machines, it is important to consider the ratio of virtual cores to the physical cores of the host processor.
I try to come to a two-to-one ratio. two virtual cores per one physical.
The number of virtual cores in Vm will be 6.
16 * 6 cores = 96 cores
96/2 = 48 physical nuclei should be.
Since it is recommended to use 3+ GHz processors.
That in the line e5-2600v4 the suitable model is E5-2687W V4. 12 cores 3.0 GHz.
Since the server 2x socket I need 2 servers with 2 processors.
In line skalable processors is Intel® Xeon® Gold 6154 Processor. 18 cores 3.0 GHz.
What do you think is the density of the CPUs per physical core is optimal for good performance?
In the examples from vmvare I see a much higher density of virtual cores than I think is optimal.
I use the k2 grid in my old servers, they show good performance. k260q profile.
If you look at Tesla cards, will there be a performance gain? After all, they support newer versions of API and various features.
However, I’m not sure that they will be required.

Hi,

you need to calculate 1 pCPU per VM and therefore a CPU with 8 Core and 3.2GHz would be even better for your request as you only have to deal with 16 users.
Regarding the Tesla boards you will for sure see a performance gain but there are also other features with Maxwall/Pascal like monitoring/motion support…

Regards

Simon

Calculating:
1 server
2 graphics cards grid k2
2 processors 12 cores 3.0 GHz
VM
6 virtual cores
profile k260q
Number of VM - 8 pieces per server.
Physical cores 24
Virtual cores 48
Ratio vcpu to pcpu - two to one

If I take your example
then the physical cores 8 * 2 = 16
Virtual cores 48
The ratio is three to one.

Why do you think that this option with 8 cores processors is better?

Because it is sufficient, the CPU is cheaper and you have a higher single thread clock frequency. In addition I don’t see a real advantage of 6vCPUs. 4vCPUs for the given applications should be more than OK.
Regarding your ratio: 4:1 is what I do in most of the projects and it just works so you don’t need to be afraid.

Regards

Simon

I also think that 4 virtual cores are enough. In addition, in virtualization, the number of vcpu should be selected so that they are as small as possible, but at the same time enough for normal operation.
However, in the system requirements of the autodesk, it is recommended to use 6-8 vcpu and 6 vcpu are used in the configuration examples from VMvare for this task.
Most of the operation in Revit is single-threaded, that is, they use only one cpu core.
I tried the RFO benchmark tests with VM on 6 cores and on 8 cores. 8 cores showed a small increase in comparison with 6 cores. It will be necessary to try to run the RFO benchmark on a 4-core VM.

I was wondering if one you could help me.
Theses are the stats for my next server and I was wondering how many Revit VMs I could run on it.

Chassis with up to 8, 2.5" Hard Drives
2 CPU with GPU
Intel® Xeon® E5-2667 v4 3.2GHz,25M Cache,9.60GT/s QPI,Turbo,HT,8C/16T (135W) Max Mem 2400MHz
Memory Configuration Type: Advanced ECC
(4/CPU) 32GB RDIMM, 2400MT/s, Dual Rank, x4 Data Width
RAID 5 for H730P (8 SSDs)
960GB Solid State Drive SAS Mix Use MLC 12Gbps 2.5in Hot-plug Drive
Internal SD Module with 1x 8GB SD Card
Dual, Hot-plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1)
NVIDIA TESLA V100
Hardware Encoding with NVENC and VMware Blast Extreme

Hi JLTrepanier,

to be honest the answer would be: it depends !!! For sure we don’t know your exact use case and workload and therefore it is hard to judge. But what I can say is that the V100 is the wrong board for Revit use case. You should use a few P4s instead.
Example configuration: 4x P4 with 2GB FB each = 16 VMs on the given host with Revit.

Regards

Simon

At the moment V100s are easying to get then P4s or even P40s.

The Use case is heavy graphic workloads that include huge Revit models running at the same time as InDesign and Photoshop.

Hi,

feel free to use the V100 but finally the user density depends on the framebuffer requirements.
I would suspect that you can have max 8 users with 2GB profile on a V100.

Regards

Simon