RHEL 5.x 64 bit SDK make problems Seen this same problem in forums but solutions dont work for me

Hello all,

So I have spent some time in the forums looking for topics with similar problems as me. It seems that a lot of people have had problems with getting the SDK/tool kit to work with some of their systems. I have tried every ‘solution’ I have seen, but the commands have not worked for me. It is possible that this is true because in the other cases a different distribution of linux was used. Specifically, I installed the SDK and toolkit in the default places following the ‘Getting Started’ pdf file. I would type make in the NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK directory and the first problem I had was with the build not being able to find the glu.h, gl.h files. Following advice on the forums I was able to fix this by running

[codebox]sudo yum install libxmu-dev libxi-dev[/codebox]

and I believe I ran more than just these. I seemed to have fixed the first problem, but now when I try to make the file I get the error:

[codebox]make -C projects/bitonic/

make[1]: Entering directory `/u/brose/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/bitonic’

make[1]: Leaving directory `/u/brose/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/bitonic’

make -C projects/marchingCubes/

make[1]: Entering directory `/u/brose/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK/projects/marchingCubes’

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXi

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

[/codebox]

I have seen this error in other threads and it seems that maybe there is an incompatability issue? Any advice as to what is wrong and how I can fix it would be appreciated. P.S. If you can’t tell I am very new to linux.

You need to install the X11 input extensions. Probably the packages you want to install are libXi and libXi-dev.

I have tried this. It says I already have them installed I believe.

[codebox][brose@ucla-grendel ~/NVIDIA_CUDA_SDK]$ sudo yum install libXi libXi-dev

Password:

Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security

Setting up Install Process

Parsing package install arguments

Package libXi-1.0.1-3.1.x86_64 already installed and latest version

Package libXi-1.0.1-3.1.i386 already installed and latest version

No package libXi-dev available.

Nothing to do

[/codebox]

OK so you will need to find where it is installed and update the SDK common.inc to find it, although that is strange, because on my Centos 5 boxes it is just in /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 and the SDK finds it without a problem.

Thanks a lot… These instructions was really helpful for me (as a new user!)…

Thanks a lot… These instructions was really helpful for me (as a new user!)…